Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone can help me out.

I got a cement-stain the size of a thumbnail on my hood. Since I thought it was simple mud, i let it stay there for almost 3 weeks, with all the sun and moon and all. (Btw, I air-park the 855 everyday - means no roof, except on weekdays during office hours where there's a designated parking spot for me in the basement).

Question is, how do I remove the cement-stain with MINIMAL (or NONE at all) side-effects. I tried to slowly scratching it off, but unfortunately it scratches the paint nonetheless.

Has anyone encountered a similar situation before?

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
WOW! You were not kidding. The only thing I can think of is to check at some hardware store and see if there is a compound that will break down "quick crete" or similar concrete products. Use an eye dropper to losen it. Then you are probably in for some work with the ol' rubbing compound.
It may be worth the $$$ to ask a body shop (who will guarentee the work). Let us know what happens.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Our hearts go out to you. Spend the money-do it properly-you will forget how much it cost and how much it hurt once you see the finished product prepared professionally. Done badly-you will always see it there for the term of your ownership. That would be worse. I assure you.

If you own a Volvo-you are a connoisseur. Connoisseur's do things properly. Everyone of us has had to spend money like this in one way or another. You are not alone by any means. That might be part of the charm of being a Volvo owner.

Everyone of us knows exactly how you feel. We've all been there.

I hope those simple remarks offer some consolation.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
This sounds painful, but if it was me, take the edge of something made of hard plastic, like a paint mixing stick. If you feel ok, try a butter knife or a flathead screwdriver--something like that.

This goes without saying, GENTLY scrape as much as possible off without going too far into the paint. Take as much time as you need and dont rush it.

When you feel you got as much off as possible, you need to wash it off. If it was bad enough to take out chips in the piant or there are deep scratches, use some touch-up paint. Assuming this will be noticable when dried, wet sand the area. You need very fine grain sandpaper abd water. If your not sure by looking at it, ask the detail shop at your Volvo Dealer what grain (I dont know the number, only by looking at it). Wet sanding will take out any damage the cement or scraping it off left. It should look nearly new now. You can wash it and wax it.

BTW I used to detail cars and this is what we would do so cars would not have to be repainted.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Jun 10 2005, 09:10 PM)SORRY but the only thing I can say is OUCH

[snapback]9421[/snapback]​

The first time i realised what it was, i went like "HOLY COW!"
hysterical for half a minute. Then I don't know how long I stood there staring at the stain, with a sorry look on my face.
My 4-year old daughter had to come out and ask me what was I doing.

But i'm OK now.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(niko05 @ Jun 11 2005, 09:30 AM)WOW! You were not kidding. The only thing I can think of is to check at some hardware store and see if there is a compound that will break down "quick crete" or similar concrete products. Use an eye dropper to losen it. Then you are probably in for some work with the ol' rubbing compound.
It may be worth the $$$ to ask a body shop (who will guarentee the work). Let us know what happens.
[snapback]9460[/snapback]​

Yes, niko. I wasn't kidding. I have tried the scratching method first. See the 'bald' spot in the middle. (That was MY doing, but it scratches the paint, nonetheless. So I stopped at that.)

Met a few friends at the HomePower DIY store nearby (http://www.homepowerdiy.com) and we were all wondering how the heck did it get there. Especially since there was only ONE spot. Not two, nor three. Just ONE. Damn big, some more.
Anyway, they have ordered something from the main office that could 'dissolve' newly coated (within 24 hours) cement from walls but don't know if it will work on paints on metal. Afterall, this is coming to the fourth week already.

But thanks for the tip - i'll try with the eye-dropper. And see if it does anything.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(Auckland @ Jun 11 2005, 04:40 PM)
Our hearts go out to you. Spend the money-do it properly-you will forget how much it cost and how much it hurt once you see the finished product prepared professionally. Done badly-you will always see it there for the term of your ownership. That would be worse. I assure you.

If you own a Volvo-you are a connoisseur. Connoisseur's do things properly. Everyone of us has had to spend money like this in one way or another. You are not alone by any means. That might be part of the charm of being a Volvo owner.

Everyone of us knows exactly how you feel. We've all been there.

I hope those simple remarks offer some consolation.

Cheers

[snapback]9463[/snapback]​

It did. Thank you very much for your words. But I wasn't going to give up yet.

If there is really nothing I can do from home to get rid of it, will send it to the professionals. But not before I try as much, first. Heheh.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(S60 R @ Jun 12 2005, 05:51 AM)This sounds painful, but if it was me, take the edge of something made of hard plastic, like a paint mixing stick. If you feel ok, try a butter knife or a flathead screwdriver--something like that.

It WAS at first. Now, it is just a STRONG reminder to me, to not trail behind cement trucks so close before Turbo-overtaking them, or any trucks for that matter!
Yes, i have bought a dozen of those already. They're kindof soft aren't they?
Maybe so that it won't rub too hard on the paint.

QUOTE(S60 R @ Jun 12 2005, 05:51 AM)This goes without saying, GENTLY scrape as much as possible off without going too far into the paint. Take as much time as you need and dont rush it.

Will do.

QUOTE(S60 R @ Jun 12 2005, 05:51 AM)When you feel you got as much off as possible, you need to wash it off. If it was bad enough to take out chips in the piant or there are deep scratches, use some touch-up paint. Assuming this will be noticable when dried, wet sand the area. You need very fine grain sandpaper abd water. If your not sure by looking at it, ask the detail shop at your Volvo Dealer what grain (I dont know the number, only by looking at it). Wet sanding will take out any damage the cement or scraping it off left. It should look nearly new now. You can wash it and wax it.

This will definitely be the first time for me, to do this. But it sounds like a good thought-of plan! THANKS! I will do this.

QUOTE(S60 R @ Jun 12 2005, 05:51 AM)BTW I used to detail cars and this is what we would do so cars would not have to be repainted.
[snapback]9479[/snapback]​

THANKS, again!

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By the way, another guy I met at the DIY store opined that I also should use a vacuum cleaner to try to suck the bits of the cement off while working. And he warned that to minimise damage, I have to be prepared to spend about 2 hours on the hood.

Knowing my wife, she'd prolly leave my coffee mug on the hood, as well. (Another potential 'OUCH'?
)

And knowing my two kids, they'd prolly join me on the hood, with their toys. (Another potential 'DOUBLE-OUCH'?
)

Anyway...

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will do, Chief!

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Had one on my previous ride. Didn't like to have to blanket it everynight and unblanket it in the morning.
The car is my daily ride, so too cumbersome for simple guys like me.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just want to update you guys, had the car sent in for some works. So, can't do much yet.

Will definitely post my findings on the works, (and if I remember to take some shots as well) and some photos, too.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Like i said, i had to send the car in for some works. When i took it back yester-afternoon, the car was in great shape, and as usual, they threw in a good wash (factored into the bill implicitly, of course).

But then I noticed that the washer-guys probably noticed the stain on the hood as well. And guess what? Like me, they might have thought that it was mud as well, and tried to scrape it off. Needless to say, they couldn't do it, armed with rags and sponges only, but it made a bigger scratch-loop at the area....

Argh. I pointed to the area, and the washer-kid said, "I'm sorry. We tried but it was really stubborn."
I went like Duhhh... But realising that he probably still have no idea that it was cement, i just said thanks and left.

He probably didn't realise that he made my job a little bit more difficult.
But well, at least his intentions were noble.

As for me...

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Where did I fail? It is four days now since I told you to be a Volvo owner!!! Volvo owner's do things properly. If you took it to a professional-it would have been finished by now and done properly!!

Cheers

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

No, No... You didn't fail. Only that my fat hands are all itchy wanting to at least try it out first!

If that really doesn't work, then I'll surrender...

BTW,
I've done it last Sunday, and they DO work!

Will put up some pics later.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Because I am having problems uploading the pictures (have been trying to upload since 8.40am this morning (now its 11.21am) I'll just put up the text first.

But before I continue, I'd like to thank everyone who had helped with their advice! They were gems, and I appreciate the help!

You guys are GREAT!

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Went to my sister's place again, where the're more space to move about, and leave tools lying around.

1) Mixed a little baking soda with some water.
2) Poured a little onto the cement.
3) Used the 'soft' plastic paint mixer-stick to scrape off the cement.
EH! SO EASY? The cement bits got loose easily, and not as difficult as before. (The soft stick got signs of scratches due to its soft nature, and the cement's hard nature.)

I mean, I am NOT kidding.

It took like just three or four tries and the whole cement stains were all off the hood!
I was SO in love with the baking-soda, I will now look at it differently, from now onwards!

Needless to say, there were scratches, bit and bit.

4) Next, I dried the area.
5) Put on some wax, and started the circular motion slowly, just at the area.
6) When the circular motions began to feel 'thick'. I stopped and lighted a cigarette. (NO cigarette in the world tasted tastier that day
)
7) After 10 minutes, I wiped it clean with a clean cloth!
TADAAAAAAAAA.....!

8) Then, I applied the wax to the whole hood, sections by sections...

and the result, well, the car and I were in the shade, so, couldn't exactly see my nose-hairs, but I definitely love the sparkle!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts