Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the scenario...

1) Normally happens if the car is park for quite sometime. If it happens, it would happen when starting the car first thing in the morning or at night, after a long rest. Sometimes, even a four-hour gap would be enough to make it happen.

2) Distributor cap and Rotor is new. Just two months young.

3) The sound of the pump working is audible, when first slot key in and park key at Position II. (I assume then that the Fuel System Relay + FuelPump is OK)

4) Fuel Pressure Regulator is also new. About 3 or 4 months young.

Here's the best part:-

5) Sometimes (and only sometimes, not all times) when you play the gear stick for a second or two, resting at all positions, and then crank the car, IT WOULD START! But only sometimes.

Any idea, Tech or anyone?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sometimes, when shifting from (P)ark or (N)eutral into (D)rive nowadays, a considerable jerk occurs!

Other times, the jerk is the normal minimal feel.

Is this related to the above?

My gearbox had just been operated on early this year (March) to replace the oil seal and other seals within. It bled oil - wet at the box area.

And again operated on in April due to the same reason.

Any Ideas?

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Sep 18 2005, 11:18 AM)I don't think they are related.
[snapback]15501[/snapback]​

Thanks, but any ideas on the above?

I sent the car in on Saturday to one of the best 'labor' workers in town.

When he heard of my story, he went shaking his head. And he before the words came out of his mouth, I cut in, "Well, ASIDE from the possibility that the gearbox is on the way out, anything else?"

I left the car in his hands for 4 hours, and when I came back, he said he couldn't find anything wrong. And the best thing was that the car would start with the slightest effort, and as smooth as silk, when you need it to perform the least.

Ghost.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any other ideas, Tech?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Is the fuel pressure bleeding back after sitting for a while?

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unlikely, because it is new. I personally tore it from the Volvo plastic packing and hand it to the mechanic.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have never checked it myself. But my mechanic was clear to me that the plugs are OK.

But since I havent done it before, could you tell me how exactly do it check for it?

Thanks, dude!

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Happened again in the afternoon.
Must have cranked a thousand times without joy. Left the car for a few hours and then, when i returned and cranked - it took just ONE crank (as in the norm)!
Yeay! And again this morning, just one crank.

What kind of ghost exists therein the engine, O Ghostbuster Tech?

If I could shrink the car into an envelope and mail it to you for diagnostics and repairs, believe me dude, I WOULD!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
If you can next time it happens remove the cover for the spark plugs.Then remove one wire and install an old plug into it and make sure the plug sits on a ground and crank it and see if you have spark.

I wish I could help more.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Either the park nuetral position switch is out of adjustment or possible the cam position sensor is failing. Either way there should be some codes stored in the computers memeory.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Happened again this morning.

I am definitely going to ask them to check the PNP switch and also the cam position sensor (as you've recommended). Thanks Tech and Volvotek.
These 2 have been on my suspicion-list for a while now - but I guess now it definitely needs to be looked at.

And also change the dang plugs to iridium, even if they are still OK. (I hope this will not be a too ambitious thing. Haha!)

Thanks.

Then, I'll try to get my wife back into the car...

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
QUOTE(ampangbear @ Sep 25 2005, 06:48 PM)
Then, I'll try to get my wife back into the car...

[snapback]15812[/snapback]​

LOL

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Sep 26 2005, 10:29 AM)LOL
[snapback]15832[/snapback]​

And while doing that, try to put the smile back on her face.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i had the same prob with my 855T5 quite some months ago..
distr cap (sotong) was OK...
air filter OK...
fuel pump OK...
battery new...
battery grounding...OK

so i tried moving up/down with the gear stick about 50 times to wipe off the dried grease on PNP switch...still failed to start.

next i called up S&S (Permas Jaya JB, Malaysia) mechanic...he checked the wiring on fuel injection relay (not sure whether it is true), there it was!! loose harness..so no fuel getting into the injectors. He fixed it and wolla! the car started.

this relay located above the radiator fan. the one near to the battery.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
XB,

To make sure that never happens again, get your mechanic to solder the connections tight! (Yes, solder).

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anyway, here's a little troubleshooting guide I got based on some readings:-

If you could hear the engine cranking, but it doesn't 'catch' , try look at these (Of course, they are not in any order at all - but i guess you should try working it out based on what you have done already in the near past, and moving on...):-

1) Check Fuel Tank . Is it empty (you never know, man...
)?
2) Check Battery power (especially if the crank sounds slower than normal). Change if necessary.
3) Check Battery terminal for any signs of corrosion or loose connections. (If you have any of those vaseline jelly lying around *ehem,ehem*, apply some to the connection bulges. - Makes you want to go out and buy more of those fantastic stuff, eh?
)
4) Check Fuel Injection system
a) Fuel Pump (Listen to the sound at Position II)
Fuel Pressure Regulator (the one that keeps fuel in the line, instead of letting them drop back into the fuel tank. However, overnight, fuel will still run down back.)
c) Fuel Injectors in the fuel rail. (May need cleaning via those cleaners you fill in the gas-tank or replacement if necessary. But don't use too much as it would damage the rubber seals.)
d) Fuel Injection Relay (there's a thread on this already in this forum, complete with photo - run a search).
5) Check distributor cap and rotor . (Need to be opened to see - if extremely dirty inside, where the contact points are not able to 'electricise' themselves, either try to clean them or replace totally. I tried cleaning but only lasted for a month or so, as the contact points have worn its age.)
6) Check spark plugs . Someone very matured about engines that i know of (but have never met due to some reason despite agreements
has thrown out a nice page on spark-plugs reading at www.kaminskimik.com Another good one is here http://www.motocross.com/motoprof/moto/mcy...plug2/plug2.htm (Might want to use this opportunity to change it to Iridium all-out, eh? Yeah!
7) Check ignition coil . (Get a proper mechanic/technician to look at this, if you don't know how to.)

Hope this helps someone.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(ampangbear @ Sep 26 2005, 08:48 AM)Happened again this morning.

I am definitely going to ask them to check the PNP switch and also the cam position sensor (as you've recommended). Thanks Tech and Volvotek.
These 2 have been on my suspicion-list for a while now - but I guess now it definitely needs to be looked at.

FEEDBACK UPDATE

Life after changing the CMP sensor:
1) So far, everything is still back to normal - just one crank to start the car. And since the problem was intermittent, i still need at least a week to see if there problem is still there or not.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(ampangbear @ Sep 26 2005, 08:48 AM)And also change the dang plugs to iridium, even if they are still OK. (I hope this will not be a too ambitious thing. Haha!)

FEEDBACK UPDATE 2

2) But as I was about to change the spark plugs with the help of the auto-parts expert, he noticed that my distributor cables/cords were blue in color. Then he asked me, did you purposedly change that to the blue one? I replied, "HUH?" Changed what exactly - that you re talking about?"

He further informed me that the blue colored distributor cables are usually for the 10Valved versions of the 850. The ones for the 20Valved-T5 are the grey ones. And I went

Since I have never changed the stuff before... Well, a lot of things came into the mind, but thinking positive and thinking positive again and again, I want to focus on getting things right....

So, I bought an aftermarket (and also, further recommended) distributor cables/cords from him as a spare and will put it in, prolly this weekend when I have less on my mind.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts