Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I obviously and having many issues with this wagon! I forgot to mention that I had an interesting experience the other day. For the first time since I got it, I needed to take my to 20 month old twin boys with me and my was out of town with our van. I had the car seats and had never put them in my 850 but never anticipated any problems. So when I extended the back seat belts to their full extension stop, I expected them to lock like all other seat belts do in place in order to secure the child seat. Well, they never locked! I thought maybe I wasn't doing something right so on the way home I stopped at our "new" volvo dealer which was also a Ford, lincoln, mercury, and mazda dealer all in one that recently started selling and supposedly servicing Volvos. Anyway in a nutshell the service guy told me that "some" older volvos had to be ordered with this option.... I actually laughed cause I thought he was joking, but he was totally serious. Please tell me this guy is full of crap! I had a 87 buick that had locking seatbelts.

And by the way... does anyone know how I can get the seatbelts to lock for a car seat in my 850????

THANKS

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
He is telling the truth the older cars it didn't come standard.

The only way I know to get them to stay good is to use the metal seatbelt holder to keep the belts tight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
same deal with our child seats.

i ended up going to our local Volvo dealer and they said there was nothing to do other than use the metal clips and the LATCH anchors together. I even went to a fire station for help, but they couldn't do anything for me because of liability issues. I had to buy an LATCH anchor and bolt it into the back of the rear seats. The back of the rear seats had threads that would accept the LATCH anchors.
Only tip I can give is to have someone kneel on the seat as hard as they can while you attach the metal clip and then secure the seat belt to the seat belt buckle.
In my experience, I have never been able to firmly attach the seats on my own.

Good luck.

PS- it seems that a car company with that much emphasis on safety, would allow such a huge oversight.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree nvhb, I can't believe that with their safety campaign that they didn't include them. Oh well, now I finally know what those metal clips are for that came with the car seats. Also, I had to order the tethers from the dealer for the strap that goes over the back of the seat. They had a heck of a time trying to find the part and they still aren't even sure if they ordered the right one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE... just heard from the Volvo dealer and they told me that Volvo no longer stocks the anchors for the tether straps
Okay, now what do I do... no luck on ebay... anybody got a lead for me? I need two, one for each side. I have twins!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Pags,

Volvo Santa Monica has them. At least they did when i bought my anchor about 2 months ago.

310-264-4943 parts department.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts