Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I insert key in the ingition and turn on key to first position, radio turns on, but I can't turn on key to the second to start the engine. I think something happend with the ignition lock. Do I need to replace ignition lock and if yes, where I can find the part number or what could be done? Thanks,

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I have never seen that happen on the V40.You can remove the Covers on the steering cover and try to remove the electrical part of the switch and see if it turns all the way then.Im thinking you may have a problem with the electrical part of the switch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey..B4 you have anyting riped out and messed with trying wiggling the stearing weel... when the weel is fully turned one way it some how jams...try tiling the colum up and down as well...this has happed to me b4...nothing wrong

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
But if the steering wheel is locked most of the time the radio wont come on and it won't go into position 1.

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE(05gent099 @ Jan 20 2005, 11:55 AM)When I insert key in the ignition and turn on key to first position, radio turns on, but I can't turn on key to the second to start the engine. I think something happened with the ignition lock. Do I need to replace ignition lock and if yes, where I can find the part number or what could be done? Thanks,

[snapback]2433[/snapback]​

If you can update us on if you were able to fix this starting/ignition issue. And if you were how did you fix it. I'm having the same problem and it makes no sense. My mechanic can't figure it out either. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just to give everyone a up date. The problem ended up being the tumblers (the key mechanism itself). Not the Starter or a falty ground or anything like that. It was the teeth of my keys that were not matching up with the tumbles in side the egntion.I could'nt believe it myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts