Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used 850. Registered it and got the new titlle and registration. Put these in the glove box and closed it. Drove to insurance agent and surprise I can not get the glove box to open! I have 4 keys (one is the limited service key) but no matter what I do it wont open. I am afraid to pry it and do not want to set off the air bag or break more than I have to. Do any of you have ideas?
Love the car other than the glove box. We also have a 740 for our son.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I can give you some tricky instructions to get it open but you will be breaking some of the insert inside of the glove box.Then when you get it opened you will have to buy the parts to repair it.If you want the instructions let me know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tech
I will take you up on your offer. Is this glove box problem common? I wondered if some part of the glove box latch assembly sheared off or cracked off. It worked fine a few times but when I closed it last time (it was -9 f) it would not open again and it feels like the little door pull is not catching the next part strongly enough.
Thanks

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Yes with age it is becoming a problem and the parts are sold from the dealership to repair it.

Ok heres what you need to do push down on the door some.While looking behind the door you should see where the catch comes from the dash to go into the door.What you need to do is take like a small screw driver or a hook tool.You need to start from as close to the latch as possible and work out.Start breaking the black plastic on the dash side where the latch comes through.Once you start breaking the plastic and pulling the peices you will start to see the latch itself.You need to remove enough of the plastic to access the 2 philips screw the hold the latch to the dash.Once you remove enough plastic and remove the 2 philips screws the door will open.

Once that is done then you will need to remove the glove box insert by removing the I think it is 8 torxes 25 screws.Then install a small screw driver in the door by the plastic arms that go into the door and that will release the arms.Then the glove box insert will come out.Then remove the 4 screws holding the glove box door to the dash board.Then you can remove the screws from the door and open up the door to replace the inner workings of the door.You have to buy a kit to repair but you will only need to replace 1 peice.You will see it broken once you open it up.

I tried looking online for pics to help give you a better idea but couldn't find any if you have any more quiestions you can post them or PM me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi

I have also just bought a Volvo 850, a TDI estate. I have the same problem in that I can't get the glovebox to open.

Reading through the various forums and websites it looks like whichever way you choose to open it you have to break something in the process! Might have a look around my local scrap yards first to work out how it all goes together

I am going to try and have a look at mine this weekend so if I have anymore info after that I will let you know.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Yes alot of times when you have to do it which ever way you choose to do so.I think my way is a pretty good way because you don't have to replace any peices of the dash or anything like that.That is unless it bothers you that there is a 2 inch peice of plastic missing from the inside of the glove box insert.You still need to replace the original broken peices in the glove box door though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi

Is there any chance you could send me some photos showing which bits of the glovebox you are referring to and which piece of plastic will get broken. Having never had the glovebox open I don't know how the latch mechanism works!!

Thanks

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I dont have access to a car to take pictures.It is in the center of the glove box door where it meets the dash top side of the door.If you pull down on the door slightly you should be able to see the catch coming from the dash.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you glove box is stuck closed there is a way to open it without damaging any plastic parts. Wedge, something like, 1" X 2" pieces of wood in each corner of the door. This should spring the door open enough so that you can shine a light in and see the fixed portion of the latch. It will look two metal 1/8" wires, you cannot see the portion on the door. Take a hack saw blade wrapped with tape to act as a saw handle and saw through both sides of the latch wires and the door will pop open.

After that take you may take out the screws on the back of the door and you will be able remove and replace the broken latch mechanism.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(k1uhf @ Jun 1 2005, 11:53 AM)If you glove box is stuck closed there is a way to open it without damaging any plastic parts. Wedge, something like, 1" X 2" pieces of wood in each corner of the door. This should spring the door open enough so that you can shine a light in and see the fixed portion of the latch. It will look two metal 1/8" wires, you cannot see the portion on the door. Take a hack saw blade wrapped with tape to act as a saw handle and saw through both sides of the latch wires and the door will pop open.

After that take you may take out the screws on the back of the door and you will be able remove and replace the broken latch mechanism.
[snapback]8820[/snapback]​

If you could, why don't you put it up there where Tech has his instructions to open the glove box?

It could give owners a new alternative knowledge of how to open the glove-box.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
QUOTE(k1uhf @ May 31 2005, 09:53 PM)If you glove box is stuck closed there is a way to open it without damaging any plastic parts. Wedge, something like, 1" X 2" pieces of wood in each corner of the door. This should spring the door open enough so that you can shine a light in and see the fixed portion of the latch. It will look two metal 1/8" wires, you cannot see the portion on the door. Take a hack saw blade wrapped with tape to act as a saw handle and saw through both sides of the latch wires and the door will pop open.

[snapback]8820[/snapback]​

Yes but wouldn't you still have to buy the new latch that screws to the dash as well as the door latch?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts