Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to this forum as well to this car. First, I love it! Now for the problems:

1: Driver side seat will not release to let the seat move forward (rear passenger) I can hear the electronics clicking but will now not release (just stopped one day). 2 part,,,, 1:when I switch the release handles both back and front,,,, nothing. 2: When I move the little spring (contacts) tighter, the seat will move backward and forward but still no seat release. It currently does not even do this unless I push on the spring and hold it. Do I have to take this all apart? Any good suggestions on doing it?

2: The infamous noise under or by the steering column! I have heard of using vaseline around the seams. Does this work?

3: The horrible grinding sound when you turn the steering wheel fully.

That's about it for today. Any ideas or suggestions would be perfect.

Thanks!!!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
There is 2 cables from the handle to the latches inside the seat.There is 1 cable that breaks all the time.You will have to replace it.It is one cable that Y's and has 2 ends.You will have to remove the leather off of the back of the seat.Or atleast move it up 3/4 of the way.You start all the way at the bottom.There is hog rings that hold the leather together.Cut them then start lifting carefully.There is more hog rings on the front of the seat that go to the seat foam.You will also have to remove the handle and untuck the leather on both sides at the bottom.

2.Im not sure exactly what noise you are talking about.

3.Lube the steering stops on the lower control arms in the front end.There is one plastic peice on each side of the car.Install grease on each one and the noise will be gone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with the steering. Dealership just keeps telling me it needs to be lubed (Once a month?). The sound just keeps coming back. I also have bad turn radious.

I spoke with a guy at the dealership yesterday who pulled in with a car identical to mine. I thought it was mine on a test drive when I heard him turn. He has the exact same problems (2001 C70 convertable)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys,

What needs to be lubed on the steering? I have a problem with mine whereby I hear a click when I turn the steering to the left, although sometimes I hear it when i touch the brakes. Not sure whether lube would resolve this, but I'd be interested to know what needs to be lubed!

Cheers,

Paul...

·
Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE (peterjf @ Apr 3 2005, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello,

I am new to this forum as well to this car. First, I love it! Now for the problems:

1: Driver side seat will not release to let the seat move forward (rear passenger) I can hear the electronics clicking but will now not release (just stopped one day). 2 part,,,, 1:when I switch the release handles both back and front,,,, nothing. 2: When I move the little spring (contacts) tighter, the seat will move backward and forward but still no seat release. It currently does not even do this unless I push on the spring and hold it. Do I have to take this all apart? Any good suggestions on doing it?

2: The infamous noise under or by the steering column! I have heard of using vaseline around the seams. Does this work?

3: The horrible grinding sound when you turn the steering wheel fully.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
QUOTE (Tech @ Apr 3 2005, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There is 2 cables from the handle to the latches inside the seat.There is 1 cable that breaks all the time.You will have to replace it.It is one cable that Y's and has 2 ends.You will have to remove the leather off of the back of the seat.Or atleast move it up 3/4 of the way.You start all the way at the bottom.There is hog rings that hold the leather together.Cut them then start lifting carefully.There is more hog rings on the front of the seat that go to the seat foam.You will also have to remove the handle and untuck the leather on both sides at the bottom.

2.Im not sure exactly what noise you are talking about.

3.Lube the steering stops on the lower control arms in the front end.There is one plastic peice on each side of the car.Install grease on each one and the noise will be gone.

Hi Tech,

I had a similar issue with my driver seat last Saturday night. I drop friends at their home, I lifted the handle to tilt the seat (driver) and let them get out. My seat was moved completely forward but wont move anymore. I am tested and exchanged with passenger seat the seat control buttons on the left side of the seat and the control box mounted under the seat, tested on passemger side and work good. So I suspect something with the contactor/switch which I think i mounter on the lever to tilt the seat. Is there a way to shunt the contactor/switch and not have to remove the leather off? Do you have a drawing showing how it is made inside the seat? I need to find a fix because i cannot drive anymore my car, the seat is too close from the steering wheel.

Thanks,
Cedric

·
Registered
928 Posts
QUOTE (900fc @ Jun 11 2009, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Tech,

I had a similar issue with my driver seat last Saturday night. I drop friends at their home, I lifted the handle to tilt the seat (driver) and let them get out. My seat was moved completely forward but wont move anymore. I am tested and exchanged with passenger seat the seat control buttons on the left side of the seat and the control box mounted under the seat, tested on passemger side and work good. So I suspect something with the contactor/switch which I think i mounter on the lever to tilt the seat. Is there a way to shunt the contactor/switch and not have to remove the leather off? Do you have a drawing showing how it is made inside the seat? I need to find a fix because i cannot drive anymore my car, the seat is too close from the steering wheel.

Thanks,
Cedric
Pull the bottom of the seat back leather up and access the micro switch in question(it is by the hinge). Common problem with the seats.

·
Registered
11 Posts
MKC70,

That's for your answer. With your help and additional explanation for the Tech on a different post, I could locate the switch and found the spring just snapped out. I could get my seat back in place by pushing the switch by hand. Will need to re-fix the spring and will be good.

Thanks again.

Cedric

·
Registered
38 Posts
hello my friend. do yourself a favor and sell the car as fast as you can. i had a 1999 c70 and it was a complete nightmare. i bought the car for 4000.00 and in the first month i put almost 2000.00 into it. they constantly have trouble, especially the 99. i was fortunate enough to sell the car for 6000.00 to someone in england. you want to buy a volvo then s80 is the car to get. i just bought a 2000 s80 in absolute mint condition and the car drives beatiful, the advice is free.

·
Registered
12 Posts
QUOTE (peterjf @ Apr 4 2005, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>3: The horrible grinding sound when you turn the steering wheel fully.

Thanks!!!

I have the same problem even worse. My car is 99's c70 coupe. I could not turn steering wheel fully due to front tyres grinding rubber. so my turning circle is very big. I only could turn steering wheel one and half round to one side. somebody told me probably the tyres were too large. I m using 235/45/17R. any suggestion friends? Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
928 Posts
QUOTE (ltroad @ Jun 18 2009, 02:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have the same problem even worse. My car is 99's c70 coupe. I could not turn steering wheel fully due to front tyres grinding rubber. so my turning circle is very big. I only could turn steering wheel one and half round to one side. somebody told me probably the tyres were too large. I m using 235/45/17R. any suggestion friends? Thanks a lot.
Depending on the brand of tire those should be no wider than the ones I am running with tire rub only on full lock. I would inspect your steering stops on the control arms to see if they are worn too much. They can be replaced with new ones. Turning circle is huge on the C70, almost 40' so it does take some getting use to it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.