Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a 1998 C70 T5 and the drivers seat doesn't function anymore. The forward and back button and the up down switch has stopped working. Troble is it's stuck quite far forward and I can only just get my legs in!! Can I try anything?

Any advice appreciated.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Look on the outside edge of where the seat back and bottom meet.There is supposed to be a spring there that holds a peice against a micro switch.That is what controls the seat so when you fold it foward the seat slides to allow access to the rear seat.The plastic that holds the spring on the one side breaks.If you can find the metal peice and hold it against the switch you will be able to atleast move the seat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(ifinlayson @ Mar 2 2005, 01:20 PM)Hi

I have a 1998 C70 T5 and the drivers seat doesn't function anymore. The forward and back button and the up down switch has stopped working. Troble is it's stuck quite far forward and I can only just get my legs in!! Can I try anything?

Any advice appreciated.
[snapback]4372[/snapback]​

Many thanks for that!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Mar 2 2005, 04:49 PM)Did you get it to move?
[snapback]4388[/snapback]​

Yes it moved first time, couldn't beleive it!!!!! thanks

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Your welcome Volvo had a bulletin about drilling a hole and installing a screw to hold the spring.That was the fix for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Excellent shout on the microswitch! I have just experienced this problem with my passenger seat, and having been given two seperate suggestions of blocked runners, one of a blown fuse, and a suggestion that I would need to fork out for a new seat motor (Volvo dealers for you), thanks to this forum, I have now got my seat moving again.

Where can I get hold of the bulletin that details the hole drill fix, as I cannot see where the spring clips in on the internal part of the seat?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I used to have something But I cant find the bulletin.If you look on the inside of the outer part of the seat frame by where the switch is.There is supposed to be a tab there that breaks off.The spring went from the tab to the metal peice that is moving freely.Alot of us just drill by eye and fingers.The paper they gave you wasn't very accurate.Remove the seat switch and cover.Then look at the back side where the tab should be and the outside and then just drill the hole.Also if I remember correctly it should be just under the microswitch.Some times people would hit the micro switch that why I remmeber that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Tech,

Just took delivery of the C70 today and it seems my first problem is this one, total non movement of the drivers (right) seat, I gather it doesn't have a separate fuse so maybe this micro switch is the problem, could I get a little more details or a pic of what I'm supposed to be tinkering with if possible, would be appreciated. Other than that so far I am absolutely thrilled with it. A small thing that annoyed me was the boot lock doesn't match the ignition key, is that common or was it obviously replaced? I know its a dumb question! to change over the lock am I looking at a second mortgage??

Cheers All

Oz

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Sorry bit I don't have any pics I wish I did.Fold the seat foward then look At there the top of the seat and the bottom meet.On the inside you should see the microswitch.There is a metal washer looking thing that is supposed to have a spring hooked to it.That holds it on the micro switch.When the seat is folded all the way foward the switch is not pressed.Then when folded back it touches again.

I will try to find some kind of picture but not sure if I will be able to.

Sorry forgot about the key issue.I believe you call the boot the trunk am I correct?
Also check your keys good you may have a valet key and not a master key.The valet key will only unlock the drivers door and start the car.The valet key will not open the trunk or lock the glove box door.

Or the other thing is that someone did change the lock then sorry there is no other way but to replace them all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Whew! That info about the valet key was a breath of fresh air, most likely that would be it, I'll have another go tonight (car still at shop getting spruced up). The last explanation of the micro SW was great I think I may be able to sus it out from that, may as well take a pic while I'm at it to post. I'm sure its not the last issue as I've only just started in on this car! for refernce, would you suggest a Haynes or Chilton's be bought? I have used Haynes for all the others but not thouroughly satisfied,however never having seen the Chiltons Manual I was hestitant, better the devil you know right!

UK vs American English ---- I think I mentioned I work for Honda here in Japan, but specifically I am a JE translator/interpreter, trust me my, collegues (American, New Zealand & Floridian) and I constantly debate these terms.

boot-trunk
windshield-windscreen
side brake - emergency brake
tire -tyre
bonnet - hood

its a never ending battle for supremacy here!! I'll try and keep the automotive terms generic. Lol

Cheers

Oz

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Haynes and chilton are about the same either way.
Im not sure if they make one just for the C70 yet take a look and see if you can find one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you to "Tech". I have a 1998 c70 convertable, and I have had multiple problems with the seats. My passenger seat has been stuck all the way forward for a couple of months. (last time this happened the dealer charged me $500+ to replace the electrical unit. I signed up for Volvo-forums tonight and read your detailed suggestions in this forum and sure enough the spring on my seat was hanging. I pressed the washer thing down so it is making contact with the switch, and IT WORKED ! Thanks again. Now, when I can get in there, I need to see how to re-connect the spring. It looks like (from one of your descriptions, that I need to remove the cover on the controls to get at this? Any guidance on that (how to remove the cover etc... would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your advise on the seat helped me with my c70 and a bad seat. I can move it manually, but would like to get the spring re-attached. I can't seem to see where that clip would have been. If I look at the other seat (which works OK) will I be able to see where the spring connects to the plastic clip (or to something else if that one has already been repaired)?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi i was just reading through the problems i had the same problem and if you look behind on the side of the working seat near to door [control switch side] you'll see a small spring pulling down a metal disc like that presses the micro switch. The spring is attached to a plastic hook that is ment to break after sometime anyway and it is impossible to hook it back even if it's not broken due to the confined space. What i did i used a small plastic tie-up and run it throgh the spring and pulling it down towards the direction of the plastic hook and tie it around the bottom round bar. Cost me just a plastic tie......

·
Registered
7 Posts
thanks my seat moves forwards and backwords now (zip tie method in office parking lot in 22 seconds), but the seat will not recline back from the forward position (it just make a winding noise), any suggestions?

I am trying to beat my local shop who said "this happens all the time, we should be able to fix it in a couple of hours, it will cost you $350 to $750 depending on the problem". Nothing would make me more happy then to call them and tell them i fixed it myself because they seam to get $500 a month from me on my car....every month it is a sensor or something.

thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for all the info on this issue, my passeger seat ended up stuck in the full forward position. I had a look at the microswitch and spring etc but couldn't work out how to hook it all up again since it's in a very restrictive space. All I did was tape the microswitch to it's closed position, all the seat adjusters work as do the memory buttons, it just means that anyone wanting to get into the back now has to use the seat ajustment button rather than expecting the lever on the side to do it all. To be honest the seat movement in that department is far too slow anyway, wish I'd opted for manual seats. All that said, many thanks for pointing me to that switch

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just wanted to thank everyone that has posted solutions to this problem. Today my wife cleaned my C70 (such a sweetheart) and after which the driver's seat would not move back. I did not quite understand what the tab and the spring were located but I started looking and metal part that would rotate down. What do you know the seat now moved back with metal rotated down.
I will post photos later for future folks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you so much for the info on the micro switch! It was a little difficult to find at first, but finally found it on the back right side after lifting up the seat cover (and with my husband's help). It was a very small spring about 1-2 cm that I just had to push. I'm so grateful for the expertise!!!! I don't have to spend any money. Whoo hoo!

Attached is a picture of the back of the seat (you can see where I had to undo the cover) and a picture from pulling up the seat cover. It is a little blurry, but if you look at the middle for the shiny silver piece, that is what you have to push on to get the controls to work. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• 2 MB Views: 53
  • Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    1.6 MB Views: 29
1 - 20 of 34 Posts