Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My top opens {retracts} and stores into the truck area just fine. When closing however, it comes very close to perfectly sealing but never grabs/locks. A very small gap is visible and while drive, the chime continues to sound, and the indicator light remains on. Please, anyone have advice before I get socked for major dollars at Volvo dealer.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would plan hour or 2 to look at the top very closely and the lock downs at the end of the cycle to see if they are out of adjustment or anything is in the way. I had problems with the interliner on my top coming lose
and getting caught in the latch which prevented the top from closing completely.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a problem I've not seen described, so here goes...

The last time I put the top down, I would hold the switch down, and it would execute maybe 3-5 seconds of the procedure (like lower the windows), then stop. Releasing the switch and then holding it down again, the next 3-5 seconds of the process would execute. Finally, the entire process completed.

The fun part was: I couldn't get it to go up. Pressing the switch, the rear cover opened. I tried releasing and pressing, and that was unfortunately as far as I could get it to go.

We ended up following the procedure in the manual for closing the top manually. Needless to say we've not tried putting it down again.

Anyone have a hunch or had this experience - might it be as simple as our top up/down switch is bad?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought my used 2000 C70 Volvo about 6 weeks ago. ( My first Volvo ever)
The owner who sold it to me must of known about this problem.
Him and his wife seemed so nice. They had only had the car a year. (Danger Will Robinson!) It had mid range miles, 87k
After I bought the car the dealer pointed out I need new tires, a timing belt change and I had started to notice all the cracks in the interior. All the plastic is falling apart all over the place, the dash, the top by the wind visors and the console. Anyone else with this problem?
I am usually more careful then this, but I was a bit dazzled by the car and I needed a car fast. (my van gave up the ghost and I can''t carpool in a miata.
It sure is pretty. (blue with gray interior) It was below blue book, and it should of been.
After 3 weeks of owning the car the top would not go down, much to my chagrin.
The top works on and off.
It hangs and the black locking mechanism engages mid air about 5 inches from the front area where it needs to lock in.

I took it my local volvo dealer, where the two mechanics looked at each other and me, and asked me how long I had owned the car and then both said to me , Sell it as fast as you can.
That was a bummer. They said these tops are nothing but trouble and that these cars had troubles.
It cost me 140 to get the sensors reset, but the guy didn't really think was the problem.
He said it looked like someone had played around with one of the hinges and drilled it or something, ( which I should of had him show me!) So it worked for another 3 weeks and then it happened again, I looked in here
and other Volvo forums and it seemed like it must be one of the hinges. I spent about an hour trying to see which one and I couldn't.
So I shook the thing, and it worked!
Of course I still need to actually fix the problem.
I just thought I would share my experience, since car forums have helped me out so much with my cars, I belong to Miata.net too.
I like to be able to fix my own stuff.
One more question, I decided to keep the car and I have only heard good things from other C70 owners I have met. Do these cars have a history of trouble?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Two things... the issue that EdisonFire is the exact issue that I am having right now... with the added fun of not being able to open or close my top due to the latches. The latches won't release (even though the motor tries to lift the top just fine) and the closing motor won't cinch the top down at all.

Second... owenmpk, I am also in the "Sacramento area" and would love to know the local garage that helps you oout with your top issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My top opens {retracts} and stores into the truck area just fine. When closing however, it comes very close to perfectly sealing but never grabs/locks. A very small gap is visible and while drive, the chime continues to sound, and the indicator light remains on. Please, anyone have advice before I get socked for major dollars at Volvo dealer.
Hi,
I believe you had your car fixed, now I have the very same problem with my 2013 C70, could you pls let me know what did you do?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts