Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I like it, I guess time will tell how this car plays out. Im assuming people won't really appreciate this little car until people get it under there own hands and feet where it will shine. Who knows, it may become as memorable as the original... I found a site with some good general pics and info of the car http://www.c30world.com

·
Registered
17 Posts
I find little to support that it is a Ford Focus based vehicle:unsure: I find more evidence that Volvo has seen the light and also seen the future!

They are making their first legit attempt to attract a new market base and new Volvo owners. I find that exciting
and I am looking forward to driving one

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Hi there Swedish Traveller.

I like your intraspective thoughts. Good exposition of the topic-brief and to the point.

Don't be frightened to speak up. I enjoy reading pure reason.

Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE(Swedish Traveller @ Oct 2 2006, 11:01 PM)I find little to support that it is a Ford Focus based vehicle:unsure:...

It is Focus based, as are the engines...well, the T5 atleast. As a minimum, that will mean it has excellent handling and a nice sounding 5-pot!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The C30 Chassis is shared with the Ford Focus mk2 and the Mazda3. It has been widely praised in Europe (focus) and the US (Mazda3). As for the engine specs. The US will have 1 engine option the T5. True this is found in the Focus ST BUT it is a Volvo engine throughout. It is the current T5 found in the s40/V50. An evolution of sorts from the original 2.3 T5. I don't have the answer on why they don't use that version still. It's great for tax purposes in other countries and it sounded great saying that my 2.3L gave 250 BHP unmodified.
In Europe there will be no less than 8 engines with the four-pots being Ford and the Five-pots Volvo. In Sweden there'd even be a flexi-fuel option.

Hopefully people would get over the "Ford stigma" and the two cars would be different enough (have to test drive them to determine). We saw an example of that stigma with the Jaguar X-type and the Ford Mondeo. Hopefully that won't affect the C30/S40/V50 or the new S80!

·
Registered
17 Posts
As is always the case...Europeans will get a wider range of engine choices on the new C30. Sad...but the fact is Americans have not seen the light yet...they are still hung up on image and performance...more on the smoke and the sizzle..than the substance and value.
As far as the Focus comparison.....well you can perceive what you want. IMO....it is a Volvo! Nuff said

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey everyone the S40 is Ford Focus based too and it is a fantastic car. The Ford Focus has a fantastic platform. The 1st gen Europe/current US Focus still has the best driving dynamics of any compact here, its deficits are in interior appearance, interial materials, and noise levels/NVH. Try renting one if you dont believe me -- theyre slow and a bit much road noise compared to say a Golf, but the handling, ride, agility ie dynamics are amazing.

The second generation Focus (only available in Europe) actually went way upscale and is considered the absolute class of its size segment -- read any European magazine. The reason it isnt sold here is that it would be far too expensive for Americans who are basically cheap when it comes to buying compacts. The US Mazda 3 is actually an amalgamation of 1st gen and 2nd gen Focus parts and was significantly decontented to bring the price down to levels that American buyers find acceptable for a compact car. However, in Europe people do not have the same association of compact with cheap in cars. Thus, cars like the new Focus, Audi A3, BMW Compact, Mercedes C230 Coupe, etc are very popular over there. The 2nd gen Ford Focus is widely considered the class of this segment and it is a tremendous car. The Focus is easily Ford's best car -- it's Ford of Europe's specialty one could say kindof like the 3-series is BMW's specialty.

·
Registered
17 Posts
2ms...

Not being argumentative on this subject, but which "Focus" were you focusing on?
The older US model...which is totally a Ford design?..or the new European model which is has some Volvo influence?
I based my comments on the earlier US Focus model...since that is the one that most Americans refer to as a Ford Focus. You are correct in your evaluation of the new Focus available in Europe...it is a VERY SOLID performer. However, the new C30 has a clearly visible Volvo design and even shows some rear resemblence to the old P1800. The T5 power is ALL VOLVO...and the safety sytems are as well.
The vehicle is a Swedish auto...from concept and design through production!
Now...will there be some "shared" systems and parts? Sure there will...just like Chrysler and MB are sharing technology. That was one of the goals of the Ford-Volvo "marriage".
But I feel fairly confident in saying that you will not see any Volvo's built in the US...nor Fords built in Sweden. IMHO....you would come closer to seeing a Volvo/Ford plant in CHINA before there is one on US soil.
All this being said....the new C30 is what it is...a great step for Volvo in attractinga new market base...and a refreshing step "outside the box" for the usually conservative Swedes!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bringing this topic to the top [ I found it hiding in the dungeon at the bottom of the forum
]

There does not seem to be too much C30 activity in the group, so I decided as a new C30 owner [Volvo #11] I would see who else is around.

My car is only 5 days old and is an auto C30LE 2.4i

Sapphire black with leather upholstery, everything that opens and shuts,
and an absolute delight to drive.

Looking forward to putting it to the test on a trip up to Far North Queensland in the near future [1,200km] just to give it a bit of a run.

So, anybody out there with a C30???

Regards

Dennis

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Denis, I'm down on the Gold Coast and have ordered a C30 T5 (MY08) for delivery in Jan 2008. I took one for a long test drive and was very impressed by it's power and comfort for such a relatively small car.
How do you like yours ? Any complaints ?
Dave

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello, new to the forums.

Ive got one ordered as well, should be here mid oct. funny story about the test drive, but ill save that for another time.
I drove both the 1.0 and 2.0 and was impressed by both. Smooth ride and good power. I really like the customization aspect of the c30, which means i didn't get anything I didn't want (i'm a simple no frills kinda guy). great car, and i cant wait for mine to arrive.

·
Registered
393 Posts
QUOTE(fiddich @ Oct 6 2006, 02:05 PM)It is Focus based, as are the engines...well, the T5 atleast. As a minimum, that will mean it has excellent handling and a nice sounding 5-pot!
[snapback]42441[/snapback]​

ARRRGH slander.....T5 is definatly not a Ford engine. Volvo were building 850 T5's in 1992, a good 7 years before Ford got their dirty hands on it in 1999.
If it's the Focus ST you're thinking of, then that has a de-tuned Volvo T5 motor, (about 40Bhp less than the C30 T5 and 100 Bhp less than my 850 T5R).
Sorry if this sounds like a rant, but I'm proud of what I drive.
Stu.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just picked up my C30 T5 last Friday and I love it.

I used to drive a 2006 S40 T5, and all the nigling issues are no longer :)

The ride is amazingly comfortable, and with only 120km on the clock, it is a GTI eater at 170kw.

I am also loving the amazing road holding on extreme bends. As for the interior, it is not as impractical as I thought it would be with 2 doors, but the car does fly, and you feel extremely safe at high speeds (180km/h +).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have ordered a C30 for delivery in Goteborg, in late December. My daughter and SIL will take delivery and cruise around Sweden for a week or so. Really getting anxious to try it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts