Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 1993 Volvo 850 with 240,000 miles and have had to have alot of work done it seems like to the brakes. Now I am having more problems with them. Whenever I press the brake pedal while driving the car startts to really shake. The problem is alot worse when I am goin say 50mph-stop rather than 25mph-stop. I just had the axel replaced along with new rotors and pads.

Also my drivers side rear tire seems to produce a burning smell whenever I drive it at higher speeds. There is no noise or crunching sound when I brake and they also have new rotors/pads on them as well.

All the tires are oonly about 6months old and are decent tires.

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Ryan,

Before you start looking at the brakes, look at the tyres first.

Are they OK? Do you see any form of excessive wear on the tyres that correspond to the burning smell? Look at the side-walls. Do a full-inspection of the tyres. Get a technician to do this.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(fearturtle03 @ Oct 5 2005, 12:17 AM)- 1993 Volvo 850 with 240,000 miles - Whenever I press the brake pedal while driving the car startts to really shake. The problem is alot worse when I am goin say 50mph-stop rather than 25mph-stop. I just had the axel replaced along with new rotors and pads.

[snapback]16172[/snapback]​

Problem only emerges when you apply the brakes, right?

1) Check brake fluid first, and see if there are any leakages that is visible to your eyes.
2) Get the mechanic to take off the calipers again, and refit them. Sometimes, improperly positioned calipers may cause the noise as well.
3) Check the pads (make sure its either Volvo or designed for use with Volvo).
4) Check the rotors (as they are both newly replaced).

See if the problem is there...

If not, then maybe the masta....

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
But he said he got new rotors...

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
QUOTE(ampangbear @ Oct 5 2005, 08:07 PM)But he said he got new rotors...
[snapback]16259[/snapback]​

But that doesn't mean they aren't warped.

I have seen many new rotors sit on the shelf for a while and get warped.

·
Registered
5 Posts
depends a lot on how they were worn in slow steady braking for 300 to 400 miles. and have the calipers been checked one slightly seezed will also warp a disc.do you have acsess to a rolling road,here with mot stations all over the place there in abundance, just run them in and for a small charge they will check them.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Interesting, about the things you take for granted. I didn't know the rotors can get warped that easily.

So, i assume he could get them replaced with new ones, if he were to see the same dealer he bought it from again, right?

If not, it's a rip-off man...

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
This is how easy rotors can get warped.
Say you just get new ones put on.You take a road trip for about 4 Hrs. Then you hit a rain storm and a big puddle.They can get warped that fast.

Almost same thing but shorter distance is sitting in stop and go traffic for 1 Hr. and then hitting a puddle.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Once upon a humiliating time ago, I used to have a fast bike, and I loved to give her a good wash whenever I am free. One of the best things I loved to do is to take it out on a long and rough ride, and then POUR WATER on the front and rear disc rotors just before giving it a full-wash, ans see the vapors resulting from the contact of water to the rotors.

I stopped the habit when I was told it needed to be changed, and upon looking at the bill.

Also, I read somewhere that if you were to apply the brakes on your car from 100kmh to a full-stop, the heat emitted from the rotors were so high that you could use it to boil 2 eggs back-to-back (not simultaneously)... That's REALLY
HOT, man...

So, i kinda understand the warpage that occurs as you expose a HOT item to COLD factors immediately. Thanks Tech!

P/S: But i think I need time to figure out how the rotors could get warped in storage. Assuming ceteris paribus conditions i.e. not subjected to extreme heat etc. It must need a LONG time for the process to take shape.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The easiest way to explain is the moving and flexing while sitting with the heat.Then you have the spot where the pads sit where there is not alot of flex allowed due to pads there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts