Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Volvo XC60 (2013) and today my mechanic inspected it and discovered that both rear springs were broken. I also own a Volvo XC70 (2010) and had the same problem with it 2 years ago. I’m 66 years old and have owned dozens of cars (none of the others were Volvos) and have never had to replace a spring. Is Volvo using poor quality steel in its springs or is this normal and I was just lucky for 45 years?

·
Super Moderator
1,970 Posts
it could be worse, i have a friend who owns a mercedes slk, he has gone through 2 sets of springs in 3 years, is it possibly that these components are now manufactured to save weight, so less tolerance, or maybe the roads are not as well maintained anymore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s certainly possible. I was also wondering if it’s possible that Volvos (and Mercedes) build heavier vehicles (for safety) and therefore there is more strain on the springs.

·
Super Moderator
1,970 Posts
volvos certainly do build slightly heavier, but usually have heavier springs to compensate. the mercedes slk, has very short stiff springs that are very light (as it is a sports car) and these tend to be prone to breaking. but it is unusual to hear of volvo springs breaking

·
Registered
8 Posts
I own a Volvo XC60 (2013) and today my mechanic inspected it and discovered that both rear springs were broken. I also own a Volvo XC70 (2010) and had the same problem with it 2 years ago. I’m 66 years old and have owned dozens of cars (none of the others were Volvos) and have never had to replace a spring. Is Volvo using poor quality steel in its springs or is this normal and I was just lucky for 45 years?
Are you getting any squeeks or chirps from the springs?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts