Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i HAVE A VOLVO 850 M REG COULD ANYONE TELL ME IF THE 960 ESTATE IS THE SAME GLOVE COMPARTMENT IM CURIOUS AS A FRIEND I KNOW HAS ONE

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I don't think they are the same at all the inner peices may be interchangable but not sure.Have you gotten it open yet.You can get it open with out breaking the outer part of the door.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Thats not the way I do it.I have a way to do it that you only have to buy the latch assy.The door is saved saving people the cost of having to buy a new door.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
I spent a good 4 months scouting within the areas of where I work and live on Volvos - and I must say, that on average, every 9 out of 10 850s that I have inspected, were left with broken gloveboxes. By broken, i do not mean that they are stuck or cant be opened, but rather they are broken at the joints. Hehe. I wonder, were the previous owners really THAT brutal (slamming the lids and all) ??? Sheesh.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE(Tech @ Feb 20 2005, 03:53 PM)Thats not the way I do it.I have a way to do it that you only have to buy the latch assy.The door is saved saving people the cost of having to buy a new door.
[snapback]3681[/snapback]​

Hi I have the same problem with my 850 estate glove box. 206K miles and still running fine!!

Can you tell me how to get into the glove box without trashing it? My beloved Steppenwolf cd is trapped inside, and must not be allowed to go to the scrapyard in a few years time.

Thanks
Neil

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Ok Sorry it took me so long to reply.I have been going nuts searching the net looking for pics to make it easier.But have not been able to find some. So here goes the instructions.

First pull down on the glove box door some so you can see in on the top in the middle.You should be able to see where the latch assy. comes through the glove box insert.What you need to do now is get a screw driver and skinny needle nose pliers.Starting at the metal latch break small peices out of the insert.Working your way towards the outside part of the dash on both sides.While you are breaking the peices out keep looking at the latch.You will see the screws that hold the latch once you get enough of the plastic out.There is 2 phillips screws that hold the latch into the dash.Once you can get to them remove them.The door will open.Then remove the screws that hold the insert into the dash there should be 8 t-25 screws.Unlock the arms that hold the glove box door level.You can do that by inserting a small screw driver into the slotts in the door. Then remove the glove box insert.Then you will see 3 t-25 screws holdiing the hinges from the door to the dash.Remove the screws and take the door off.Then remove all the screws in the glove box door and open it up.Instect the peices.If I remmeber correctly the rod that holds the spring breaks.

Try that and let me know if you have any trouble.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Go to www.brickboard.com and search glove compartment latch for a good repair method. I used it last year with complete success.

G

·
I recently changed the glove box restraining hinges on my 850. When completed I opened and shut the glove box a few times. It worked perfectly. Just as I was congratulating myself on what a clever person I was - disaster struck. The glove box for no apparent reason locked.

I have scoured the various forums and the one that appeals to me the most is simply putting two wide stainless steel spatulas in the top of the glove box to prize it apart just enough to put a single-blade hacksaw in and cut the latch (the spatulas also stop the surrounding trim being damaged.

One you have the glovebox open inspect to see what caused the problem, repair it and replace the cut latch.

Hope this is of some help.

Volgrr

1 - 10 of 10 Posts