Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having and issue with my wifes 2001 S60. I just replaced the front pads and rotors approx 6 months ago and 1 month ago I replaced the rear pads and had the rotors machined. She's complaining now of a brake squeel and grinding noise. I took the car for a drive and it sounds like the grinding noise is coming from the front and the squeel I'm not sure if its front or rear. It sounds like metal on metal but its not the pads are brand new. I just had the car in to a mechanic to replace the front stabilizer links (one side was broken) and when I picked up the car the mechanic told me about the noisy brakes which I already knew about. He wanted to replace the pads and machine the rotors but I declined. I don't want to machine rotors that are only 6 months old. The noise seemed to of gotten better since the stabilizer links were changed but I still get complaints.

Could the squeel be coming from the back? Someone told me machined rotors can do this. There is also a slight pedal pulsing. Is that back or front? The grinding noise is still a mystery.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
If you feel the pedal pulsing it is the rear rotors.
If the rotors are Volvo rotors they are not supposed to be cut.
They act really funny when they are cut.

The other thing to check is make sure the ABS sensor is clean and not activating the ABS when you hit the brakes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I just took apart one side of the front brakes again tonight (will do the other side tomorrow), and cleaned the back of the pads and cleaned all the dust and dirt off the bracket where the pads sit. I applied some anti-squeel compound to the back side of the inboard and outboard pad and re-installed again. There were no shims installed and I'm pretty sure there were none on the set I replaced 6 months ago. Should there be or is the anti-squeel gel enough?

Also the pads are made by Dan-Block. They are not from Volvo but I was told they are an OEM supplier to Volvo and others.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It's not the rotors that make them squeal.It is the aftermarket pads.They are very hard thats what makes them squeal.If you install very soft pads they won't squeal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.