Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys -

Today on my way home from work, I was in slow-moving traffic, and my brakes gradually began to lose power, to the point that I had to push down almost all the way to the floor to stop. I pulled over, checked all fluids and made sure nothing was smoking under the hood or anything like that - everything was normal. I let the car sit on the side of the road for about 10-15 minutes, I started it back up and the brakes came back enough to get me the rest of the way home. I let it sit in my driveway for a while again, took it back out and the brakes were 100% normal - what the hell is going on? Please let me know what I need to do, or if there is simple way to try and solve this problem.

Thank you.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Definitely the master cyl. is on the way out. Go to a salvage yard and find make and model needed. Take out in 10 min. replace with your sick one. cost will be about $25 instead of $100 plus. I had the same thing and once changed end of problem. good luck

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
I agree it sounds and smell like master cylinder but secondary cause may be the booster is on way out [more expensive]

However master cylinder and in tank fuel pump are 2 things my volvo wreckers dont recommend trying second hand, but you can try - just hope handbrake works if the used master cylinder turns out to be a dud

I would personally get old one honed out and brand new rubber fitted

·
Registered
21 Posts
[attachmentid=2561]Kind of an old post, but I may get a reply.
I had similar symptons for months, spongy pedal etc.. I see no leaks and the master cylinder is full. The brake failure light has just come on and the brakes are almost gone.
I am wondering if I should get a new MC or rebuild the old one. I see a kit on Ebay for $20. Then I would need a hone. Might check the local parts stores.

Rod S

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
[attachmentid=2563]Well, I checked the Net for MC's and found a rebuilt at Checker for $29. When I got there and they rang it up, it was $49, but since I had printed out he page, they honored the price. Took me a couple hours, mostly cause I didn't know what I was doing, but my brakes are working again. The old brake fluid was dark sludgy stuff, and the new is clear synthetic stuff. Hope it works.

Rod S

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
[attachmentid=2569]I did my best not to get air in the system when I changed the MC. The brakes are working fine, but I am planning to bleed them soon. I don't know what else to use the quart of fluid I bought for.

Rod S

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts