Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 01' V70 has wagon type aluminium stock wheels. I keep my cars very clean and ever since I gotten this car I've noticed I cannot keep this black dust off the wheels. When I wash the car I stick the hose down by the brake pad and spray for a few minutes.I keep spraying until the black dust is gone,but, it shows back up with the next drive.I have seen this before on ther cars but, not to this degree.I even waxed the wheels thinking the will keep the dust from sticking.

My questions are; 1)Do other Volvo owners have the same problem?.2)Is it the brake pads?3)What brake pads are recommended?

Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
I have the same thing. Yes, it's the brake pads.

If you are interested of a change, you could go for the ceramic pads... where the dust is white and hence will not be so conspicuous.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Good morning. This is only a suggestion. If you accumulate a lot of black brake dust very quickly-it also means that you are very heavy on the brakes-for a long time. Nothing can be done about the accumulation-only minimise it for longer. In my experience-be a lot gentlier on brakes-go a little slower and the dust will still accumulate-but slower.

Does any of this sound familiar?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
QUOTE(Auckland @ Oct 11 2005, 08:46 AM)Does any of this sound familiar?

Cheers
[snapback]16539[/snapback]​

It does.

With ceramic brakes, Ive found that only the rotor is ceramic, not the pad itself. The pad itself is made of some other material.

But some pads produce less dust than others. No personal experince on which is less dust than another, but if u shop around, sometimes the amount of dust made (or lack thereof) is a selling point.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(Auckland @ Oct 11 2005, 08:46 PM)Does any of this sound familiar?

Cheers

Can't help myself much when I travel only 17kms to work everyday with an average speed of 30-60kmh only. The T5 facility is mostly used on weekends and long trips.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(S60 R @ Oct 14 2005, 04:33 PM)It does.

With ceramic brakes, Ive found that only the rotor is ceramic, not the pad itself. The pad itself is made of some other material.

But some pads produce less dust than others. No personal experince on which is less dust than another, but if u shop around, sometimes the amount of dust made (or lack thereof) is a selling point.
[snapback]16653[/snapback]​

I agree with S60R,

the pads that produce less dust do cost more.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
QUOTE(Auckland @ Oct 11 2005, 08:46 AM)Does any of this sound familiar?

Cheers

Not u ampangbear, this topic

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Oh, sorry. Un-familiar.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If I use OEM pads, they get very dusty. If I use aftermarket pads, they are pretty much dust free for about a week, and squeak quite a bit--even after priming them after installation.

Choice 1: Quiet + Dusty Brake Pads
Chose 2: Noisy + Cleaner Wheels

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
QUOTE(chimera @ Nov 6 2005, 06:41 PM)

[snapback]17857[/snapback]​

And this is always my way to go!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the info.I guess the answer is to have wheels that don't have a shelf or lage edge in the design that offers a place for the dust to accumilate.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
QUOTE(chimera @ Nov 6 2005, 08:41 PM)

[snapback]17857[/snapback]​

My choice

1 - 12 of 12 Posts