Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an 05 S60 with Thor 17" aluminum wheels and the break dust collection was horrible. Wash the car, drive 10 miles and the wheels were almost ready to wash again. Bought two sets of "Kleen Wheels" P/N 1767 brake dust covers from an internet parts store. When delivered, they fit perfectly and the brake dust problem went away. Thought I'd pass it on as this is one of my first favorable posts regarding the Volvo S60 - the car as a whole has been very disappointing.

I did however, stumble across another lack of human engineering when I installed the dust shields. That is the wheel lugs are screws not the normal studs. Getting the wheels back on in my garage was not too much of a problem, but I'd sure hate to have to change a tire out on the road at night. Went to an auto parts store today and bought a couple of studs that I could fit into the lug bolt holes to slide the wheel on, then it was a piece of cake to put in the screws, then take out the studs and put them in the spare tire location.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Be careful using the brake dust sheilds they will cause the brakes to overheat and warp the rotors.It cuts off air flow to cool the brakes.

In my opinion they are junk.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I wouldnt use dust shields either. I would try a different set of brake pads to cut down on the dust...why hide em if u got pretty brakes/rotors.

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
I do like my wheels (Momis 16") on my S60. I agree however about the brake dust. It drives me crazy. I thought about using the shields but it sounds like I need to just keep cleaning the wheels and save my rotors.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree with Tech and S60 R you may overheat your brake disks. Do you have Turtle Wax products in the U.S. they do a spray that waxes the wheel so any dust does not stick . It still means that you have to wash them but it does make the job a lot easier.
Best wishes

Phil

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the feedback. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea after all, so the next opportunity will pull them off, and try the "Turtle Wax" approach as recommended by one of the posts.

The car, used primarily by the wife, is a real low mileage vehicle. Had it since January 8, 2005 and it's got 1200 miles on it. She got rid of a 92 Buick Park Avenue that had 58,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the same opinion as tech, the brakes are designed to vent from both sides, the shields will greatly reduce this. There are plenty of choices out there for softer pads. Organic ones will give you significantly less dust, you will however sacrifice brakingcompared to metallic or semi metallic. This is not much of an issue unless you are racing at the track though.

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Blue Coral also makes a wheel cleaner that works well on these wheels. See my post elsewhere on things that work for me.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I think only the rotor is ceramic not the pad, and the pad is usually a carbon composit material, at least from what Ive found on the web so far. Anyone know for sure?

I found the cars that ceramic brakes are optional, its way expensive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts