Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 1998 C70 coupe today. I love the car. The exterior is sexy. It is a beauty and a beast both in one. This thing mooooves as soon as the turbo kicks in. 17" rims so I don't need to buy a set. Dolby surround sound I am TOLD is very good in this car, but it is very warn out. I might need new speakers or something. The rear subs rattle. I do not know if it is the speaker itself, or if it is the panel became lose, but I need to know how to check it out and fix it. Also, the left driver side channel has no sound in the front -out of all three left speakers. I took the cover off of the very bottom one on that side and saw a speaker wire harness hanging down in front of the speaker, disconnected. The top tweeter on the right also has no sound. When I looked in the trunk, the wiring from both tweeters was detached and hanging down. I knew about this before buying it and thinking hopefully I will get this fixed soon. Another thing with this is the passenger seat lever to let some one into the back seat does not work AT ALL. Question- Can I remove the front seats and put in manual reclinable black leather racing seats? Or would it affect the airbag sensor system, since the side air bags are built into the seat? The only other thing about this is when I pop the trunk, either with remote or the lever, it pops up just off the latch but not higher than an inch. Is this normal? Could the trunk shocks need replacement maybe? I would be very happy to hear any insight and advice. Besides the above, the car is amazing.

Thanks,

Anthony

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
If you remove the seats the lights might come on you will have to look at the seat.
Some of the old ones were mechanical and some were electrical for the SRS.

The trunk that is how I have always seen them work.I have never seen them open all the way just from popping the trunk.

Congrats on the car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Just wanna know how to tell if the SRS is electrical or mechanical, and where can I get speakers/audio service at a decent price? I hope I don't have to take it to Volvo just for the stereo. Zedd, I love your paint color. I know some one with that color too- me! By the way, is that a hard top convertible? Or is that just a generic picture that you used for your avatar? I know you live in France. Is that how the convertibles are over there? They never make cars the same for every country. Well, I am going to go drive my turbo machine.

Talk to you all later.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
One way you can try to tell is to remove the seat switch and look under it.
But remove the seat switch very carefully.Then look under it on the side of the seat frame.If there is like a round cylinder thing with a hose coming from it then it is mechanical.If it doesn't have it it is electrical.

What are you trying to do with the stereo?

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(lextildeath @ Jun 15 2005, 10:40 AM)I picked up a 1998 C70 coupe today.

Anthony
[snapback]9694[/snapback]​

Congrats on your purchase!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am trying to get the stereo to function like it should. Seems to me that the previous owner blasted the system past the point of distorted sound and the speakers are all in poor condition. And the whole front right side does not produce any sound at all. I want to replace all of the speakers and possibly an amp and also get the back dash to stop rattling with the subs bunping.

Ant.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Try looking at crutchfeild.com fro stereo stuff.
The front door speakers are like 8 inch or 10 inch speakers.
Also make sure there isn't a problem with the DIN cable running to the back of the car.They were known to have a problem at times.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ABOUT THE SEATS

Tech, that cylinder that you mentioned, is it a black metal tube, 2 inches or so thick, its length as wide as the seat? Does it span from left to right (if you are sitting on the seat and looking forward). There is a hose coming from it. Underneat the seat there is a wire harness with a green connector- has a thick black wire hose from it that connects to a little thing the size of a tweeter under switch cover that says something like, "Very sensitive area, see Volvo for instruction" or something like that. I just want to make sure. Does this sound mechanical? So, can I remove the seats and put in manual leather racing seats? My seats are also heated. I can't take pics. I don't have a camera.

Thanks for the info,

Anthony.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
That does sound mechanical.
Then you can remove and install the seats.
If you want to be 100% sure unplug everything and start the car and make sure the SRS light doesn't come on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts