Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to the Forum but I am hoping someone might be able to give some ideas..

Went to check my oil the other day and found I can not open the bonnet.. The cable has either snapped or jammed!!

Any ideas how I can now get my bonnet open to fix the problem?

Cheers

Phill

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Check by the handle and see if the cable broke there.If it did thetn you can use a pair of pliers to get it open.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cable is fine in side the car.. I am quite sure it is jammed rather than snapped as the release lever is very hard to pull and the cabble only moves a little?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I forget exactly if you can see it from under the car or not.Have you tried to see the latch from under the car?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only way I can see it is through the front grill.. but this does not give much visability.. If my arms were longer I could reach up through the gap below the grill?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I had that happen to me once but can't remember how I got it open.I think I layed under the car and used a rod or something like that to pop the latch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well after a couple of hours trying I finally got the bonnet open.. In the end I used a 10mm socket with a screw driver stuffed in the end, and undid the 3 bolt holding on the bonnet catch.. It took lots of fiddling as I had to jam the socket on the screw driver having already passed the screwdriver through the grill..

The fault has turned out to be the cable has jammed.. Which is a job for next weekend..

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a similar problem. 1987, 740 GL S/R Auto. Took the battery out at the weekend to charge and/or change.... came to put new one in and can't open bonnet. The red handle in the drivers footwell is connected to the cable and moves okay. You hear the lid pop, but only the Left-hand-side( as you're outside facing the car) pops up and the middle bit just a little to get to the centre catch, but the right hand side stays firmly shut... any suggestions?
Pete.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Have someone try lifting up on the hood while you pull the handle.
If not get a pair of pliers and pull on the cable by the handle.Then you will need to adjust the cable slightly when done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts