Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it OK to start using Mobil 1 Extended Performance 10-30 W synthetic oil on a 115,000 mile 1997 850 R, if it was never used in the past? I think the person who owned the car before me just used regular oil, is it ok to make the switch? Will it mess up the engine?
thanks,
vcar

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
I would recommend a gradual movement upwards, especially from regular oil (mineral based) onwards to semi-synthetic first (PAO based), and then to fully synthetic (PAO or Ester based) instead.

Synthetic oil is also famous for its abilities to remove carbon deposits that have come to rest on the internal engine parts, especially if you do not perform the flushing first. (I understand Shell is offering this flushing 'cleaner' nowadays). Afterall, the least you want is to have an expensive engine oil filled and then have to redo the engine within just a 3000 km interval (or less).

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Oh sorry, to continue...

Change your oil to semi-syn for about 5000kms, and then go for the fully synthetic.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read that you don't need to change the oil until 15,000 miles with the mobil one,
is that true? Do you still need to change the filter every 3000 miles? What oil do you use?
I want to do what is best for my car.
vcar

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Dude,

What i recommended was just to 'prepare' your car from using mineral to going synthetic. Of course, you could just go all the way to synthetic by itself, but there have been cases where the engine leaks. Especially for old engines like ours.

Of course, if you use the synthetic oil, you could go all the way to 15,000 (or even more!).

Presently, I am using Syntium 3000. I just shifted from Esson Ultron.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My mechanic friend advised me that it makes little difference, except that the move may be best achieved via a mineral to semi-synthetic to full synthetic transition, reason given was that the transition causes more oil to be used (on my wifes car - not a Volvo I went from mineral to semi synthetic and it drunk it for fun, went back to mineral and all fine again)

I use Mobil Super S (semi synthetic) in an 850 GLE.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(Big Ian @ Oct 5 2005, 06:12 AM)My mechanic friend advised me that it makes little difference, except that the move may be best achieved via a mineral to semi-synthetic to full synthetic transition, reason given was that the transition causes more oil to be used (on my wifes car - not a Volvo I went from mineral to semi synthetic and it drunk it for fun, went back to mineral and all fine again)

I use Mobil Super S (semi synthetic) in an 850 GLE.
[snapback]16186[/snapback]​

That was what I was trying to get at.

Gradual movement: Mineral to Semi-Synth to Fully Synthetic.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Mobil 1 5W30 has been tested to go up to 18,000 miles (29,000 km) but for me, I will go 10,000km or 6,000 miles and change the filter. For test results, refer to link
---> http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html

For test on Amsoil 5W30
---> http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/amsoil.html

For more reading materials on engine oil

http://www.csaa.com/global/articledetail/0...57C2024,00.html

http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/e...eoil_bible.html

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil.html

http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/additives.html

Synthetics are usually "thin", "light", "low viscosity" oils with SAE ratings of 0W30 : 5W30 whereas mineral oils are usually rated 10W40 or heavier. In older cars where there is more wear in the engine parts, the lighter oil seeps past the piston rings and gets into the combustion chamber where it is burnt off. This is the reason why when used in older cars, the oil level drops drastically.

Engines that uses synthetic oils are usually cleaner compared to engines run on mineral oils. I have seen stripped engines and engines running with mineral oil lubricants have a dirty brown color.

·
Registered
37 Posts
QUOTE(ampangbear @ Oct 5 2005, 02:41 PM)That was what I was trying to get at.

Gradual movement: Mineral to Semi-Synth to Fully Synthetic.
[snapback]16197[/snapback]​

I posted that and then read your post

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(lianyc @ Oct 5 2005, 09:53 PM)
In older cars where there is more wear in the engine parts, the lighter oil seeps past the piston rings and gets into the combustion chamber where it is burnt off. This is the reason why when used in older cars, the oil level drops drastically.

[snapback]16219[/snapback]​

Let me highlight this point again.

Thanks, Lianyc.

Big Ian, No problem.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Care to post your experience here if you change to synthetic.

I used semi-synthetic in my 1996 940 LTP when I bought it early this year with 119,000 KM (74,000 miles) on the clock. Oil and filter was changed every 5,000 KM (3,000 miles) and there was no significant drop in engine oil level. A very slight drop in the oil level was observed but does not warrant a top-up. At 139,000 KM (87,000K miles) I changed to Mobil 1 and intend to change oil and filter every 10,000 km (6,000 miles). After 5,000Km on Mobil 1, I have added a little over half a liter of oil to the engine. Don't know if this is bad. Any comments from experts out there.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Lianyc,

Could you please start a post again in the "Performance" section, and hoping to get more attention and response.

I have a general idea on your issue, but let's see.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
QUOTE(lianyc @ Oct 6 2005, 11:08 PM)Care to post your experience here if you change to synthetic.

I used semi-synthetic in my 1996 940 LTP when I bought it early this year with 119,000 KM (74,000 miles) on the clock. Oil and filter was changed every 5,000 KM (3,000 miles) and there was no significant drop in engine oil level. A very slight drop in the oil level was observed but does not warrant a top-up. At 139,000 KM (87,000K miles) I changed to Mobil 1 and intend to change oil and filter every 10,000 km (6,000 miles). After 5,000Km on Mobil 1, I have added a little over half a liter of oil to the engine. Don't know if this is bad. Any comments from experts out there.
Thanks
[snapback]16293[/snapback]​

About a half a liter/almost half a quart in 3,000 miles isn't that bad.
About half a quart to a full quart in an oil change cycle about 5,000 miles is about normal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts