Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on storing my 2004 XC70 for 11 weeks...mid October to Jan 1. I'm getting conflicting advice from my own and other Volvo service depts. on whether to disconnect the battery. Right now my plan is not to disconnect and hope that the battery does not die in 11 weeks...some dealers say it will last; others that it won't.

Anyway, if the battery dies, one dealer says that I'll have to go to a Volvo dealer to have everything re-set; another says to just jump the car and the system will relearn everything.

Has anyone had experience with a battery dying? What was the actual result?

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
I am not so sure with the newer models, but on the older Volvos, you could just disconnect the batteries and the ECU will re-learn everything else the minute you connect them again.

As much as possible, leave the car in a shade / garage, and not out in the parking space.

Put the alarm on silent mode (or if you do not have anyone at all to look at the car, make sure someone answers if the 'unsilent' alarm goes off).

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Disconnect the battery and let it sit.You will be fine.
Also make sure the battery is still charged before you hook it back up.
What they fail to tell you is on the newer car when you jump start it the car doesn't like it. 99.5% of the time when they are jump started they will set all kinds of lights.Check engine,Srs,ETC and it will also set a ton of codes off.

Don't worry about the computers relearning.It will happed fast and you won't know the difference.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
QUOTE(Tech @ Oct 15 2005, 11:15 AM)Disconnect the battery and let it sit.You will be fine.
Also make sure the battery is still charged before you hook it back up.
What they fail to tell you is on the newer car when you jump start it the car doesn't like it. 99.5% of the time when they are jump started they will set all kinds of lights.Check engine,Srs,ETC and it will also set a ton of codes off.

Don't worry about the computers relearning.It will happed fast and you won't know the difference.
[snapback]16735[/snapback]​

Tech,
Will the radio still work right away, or do u have to enter a code first? I had a Mitsubishi, and if power was lost for any reason to the radio, u needed to enter a code before it would work again. Then if u entered it wrong 3 times only the dealer could access it to work.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The 2001 and newer V70/S60 and the 1999 and newer S80's Don't have radio codes because they are programmed to the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts