Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this gets talked about a lot, but my overdrive is really irritating me. I've got and automatic transmission in my 89 240dl wagon.

I usually have to push the button and let off the gas at least a half a dozen times while rolling down the highway to get it to work, and sometimes I can't get it at all. Plus the light on my dash never goes off, regardless of whether or not the OD has kicked it. It used to work, then it just kind of flickered for a while, now it just plain stays on.

Is there a connection that might be loose somewhere? I'm going to replace all the fuses this afternoon come some of them look kinda junky, but could there be another problem? And why's that stupid light staying on?

thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
First hunch is the Overdrive relay. P# 3523804. Also could be the button itself on your shifter. If it was fuses I would think it wouldn't work intermittently it just wouldn't work. The less likely but not uncommon either is your overdrive solenoid. P#1239928

Keep us posted

·
Registered
160 Posts
As well make sure there is enuf atf in the trans. Besides, take the od switch off and check the wiring to make sure there is a good connection. Really just a minor irritating problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi
definitely o/d relay,just fixed the same prob myself.on my 244 saloon it is an orange relay situated behind the centre console half hour to fix.relay cost me $50 aus.undo screws on console loosen radio by taking nuts and dials off and the whole thing comes forward and there she is.
spaggo

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had my 86 station wagon in and out of the best transmission shop in the area. Couldn't get the od to work. In desperation, I put a half can of something called Sea Foam Trans Tune in it. 5 miles down the road it started shifting and has continued to do so. I now put a half can of this stuff in it every time I change the fluid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts