Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anybody else that owns an '04 2.5T hear a winding/chime noise coming from the engine? You can only hear it at idle from inside the car. The engine has to be at its normal operating temperature with the rpm at 650-700. It's pretty subtle but it's annoying the crap out of me!! It sounds like a belt or something that's turning. The noise is always present and it has a consistent rhythm of in and out. The dealership is telling me that all of the '04's have this problem, but that unfortunately they cannot locate the source of the noise. In fact, they tested several 02 and 03 models and they didn't have the same problem. Anyone??

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I have found in the past that the heat sheilds sometimes will rubb on the cat converter.It would kinda make a vibrating/squeeling noise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not a squeeling noise. It's so similar to a faint door chime that the dealership disabled the door ajar chime to see if that was the problem. Of course, that wasn't it. Also, the noise doesn't go away. It's just there at all times.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It might be the injectors in the real recent years they have changed the injectors.I have heard the noise before and yes it is pretty much normal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My S60 used to make exactly the same noise and I became obsessed with it even though everyone said it was no big deal, so I took it to my dealer and he said it was no big deal. I drove it for several months and nothing came of it except that I noticed that every time I went to a restaurant I would order Sweedish meatballs even when they were not on the menu and even though I am vegan. One day, my six year old was sitting and rocking and listening to the whirring noise in the garage with the door closed, which is how she had taken to passing the time, when she started mumbling something to herself. "What?" I said. "What nonsense are you mumbling you young delphic sage?" In a voice deeper than I would have thought her capable of, and certainly deeper than I had ever heard from her before, she started chanting "sweedish meetballs, sweedish meetballs, sweedish meetballs, sweedish meetballs." It was at that moment I realized why I had been craving those delicious meaty spheres from the Swedes! Volvo, in a secret side deal with Sweeden's largest frozen meatball exporter, had implanted a little speaker near one of the fan belts to transmit subliminal messages to American yuppies to induce them to eat the sweet beefy globes. Immediately, I grabbed my daughter and, covering her ears with my hand, ran into the kitchen and called Volvo's hotline to complain about the scam. The Volvo representative carefully took down my vin number and told me that she would look into the problem, but that by no means should I go into my garage for the next ten minutes. I was just about to ask why when I heard a tremendous bang. The S60 had exploded and taken out half of my house with it! Volvo had, by remote transmitters, destroyed the evidence! Long story short, best to wear earplugs and not complain about that noise! And if you do complain to Volvo, be sure you're nowhere near the car when you make that call!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts