Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The power antenna seems to be broken. It is stuck like 1/3 of the way up and will not raise or lower. What can I try or check? Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
QUOTE(nathanrazo @ Mar 1 2005, 02:45 PM)The power antenna seems to be broken. It is stuck like 1/3 of the way up and will not raise or lower. What can I try or check? Thank you for any help.
[snapback]4276[/snapback]​

I kept yanking on the antenna and finally it came out along with some white plastic strip with teeth on it. What do I do now?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You need to buy a replacement mast.And install the new mast.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
At least you got one (antenna!) Mine doesn't have any. When I asked the dealer, which is like the next-best-question to ask, given the relatively poor reception of the local stations, he just said "Aiyah. Dis ting ah, yu hep to do yosef ah..." (Trans: I say, you'll have to do manage this yourself). Hehehe. Well, at least, the mechanics are thus far, really good at what they do. But who knows.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
QUOTE(ampangbear @ Mar 1 2005, 06:37 PM)At least you got one (antenna!) Mine doesn't have any. When I asked the dealer, which is like the next-best-question to ask, given the relatively poor reception of the local stations, he just said "Aiyah. Dis ting ah, yu hep to do yosef ah..." (Trans: I say, you'll have to do manage this yourself). Hehehe. Well, at least, the mechanics are thus far, really good at what they do. But who knows.
[snapback]4289[/snapback]​

Do you need to know how to replace it?

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Tech sir, I don't even know WHERE to plug the thing!
Couldn't find any original holes where they're supposed to be installed originally. But that's okay. I think maybe sometime next month, I'll give the local accessories shop a visit, and give 'mah-bay-bee' one of those sleek-looking antennas that BMW has on their new 5-series. Heheh... Like I said, since the security at the office is a bit tight, and we have to go through skimpy and narrow gates and all, the mast types can easily get stuck (and breaks, as a result). But hey, if you have the time, I could sure do the reading.

(Learning about this car is far more interesting than my previous car...) Always full of surprises.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Mar 1 2005, 05:41 PM)Do you need to know how to replace it?
[snapback]4291[/snapback]​

I think I know. I just have to get a replacement. The dealer by me wants $48, what a rip! Anyone knows of better prices, online is ok? Then I have to feed the white piece and when I turn off the radio it should start to turn and grab and pull the white plastic. The thing that seems a little difficult is that I see that when you start to feed the white plastic it narrows at the bottom of the mast and if the plastic is curled up like the old one is, it is real hard to slide it through. I can't get the old one back in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(nathanrazo @ Mar 1 2005, 06:34 PM)I think I know. I just have to get a replacement. The dealer by me wants $48, what a rip! Anyone knows of better prices, online is ok? Then I have to feed the white piece and when I turn off the radio it should start to turn and grab and pull the white plastic. The thing that seems a little difficult is that I see that when you start to feed the white plastic it narrows at the bottom of the mast and if the plastic is curled up like the old one is, it is real hard to slide it through. I can't get the old one back in.
[snapback]4304[/snapback]​

I found this antenna. What about this one?

http://www.volvopartsdirect.com/item.wws?m...GN18CKD0&image=

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
That looks like the one.Remember to remove the nut of the top and remove the sleeve from the old mast.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I received the new antenna from europartsdirect.com. Everything seemed to be good. I got the antenna installed no problem. The problem that became apparent is that the antenna is not as long as the original. This means that when it goes up or retracts the motor keeps running because it is set for a longer antenna. Is there a way to reprogram the antenna motor or do I just have to find the right size antenna?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It should adjust by it self.How long does it stay running?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In my best estimate I would say that it runs a good 50% more than it needs to. And after looking carefully at the new antenna it does appear to be the same size as the original. I am curious though that it is supposed to adjust itself. That means there might be a way to adjust manually?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
No there is no way to adjust it manually.In which way does it look not the same as original?Longer skinnier?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well, at first I thought it was shorter but after looking at it some more, i would have to say that it probably is the same size. it is hard to tell because the old one does not extend or retract. i guess i should just try it a few more times and see if it adjusts. does it know when to stop running based on pressure or something?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I believe it picks up an amperage change and that is what shuts it off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've just replaced the antenna mast on my other car. Easy job.
Unfortunately with my Volvo after I've undone the nut and switched the radio on I can't get the old mast out. It's jammed solid. I'm reluctant to use too much force in case I break something. Is there anything else to take off or is the mast just seized?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
If you remove the entire assy from the car you can remove the cover and remove the mast.If you pull back the panel in the trunk to access the antenna motor.Then remove the 10mm bolt holding the motor into the car.With the top nut off the mast then you can slide the entire assy. out.Then remove the bracket at the bottom of the motor.Then remove the black plastic cover.I beleive the nut is a 7mm hex nut.Then slide the cover carefully watching the washers and keeping an eye where they go.Then remove the white wheel and let the mast unwind from in the wheel.Then the mast will slide out.Then you can reinstall the cover and test to see if the motor is bad.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Hopefully everything goes fine if you have anymore trouble let me know.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts