Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Tech,

You remember when you asked me if I know WHERE on the wagon, the antenna is supposed to go? Well, just out of curiosity, I searched the net for photos of other 850T5 Wagons - just to compared and I have yet to see one, with an antenna pole.

I know you can fix it at the rear side for the sedan versions, but what of the wagons?

Help enlighten me, Tech.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Sorry but I don't remember that.It is in the left rear window.Look for lines in the window that look kinda line rear defrost lines.That is the antenna.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, found it. Thanks, Snorrih and Tech.

But these lines are antennas??? So, what if I can't get a clear reception to matter how many times I tried tuning in?

Let me guess - Bad connection, right?

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyway, Tech. It was at the topic "antenna" which was started by nathanrazo.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The antennas can be repaired in the same way as the rear demist wires. I don't know if your local dealer stocks that kit...

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Yess either a bad connection at the element or a cut element.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys, when you said 'repaired', do you really mean repair? Because the norm here is usually just to change the whole window glass altogether. Once a friend asked the mechanic to smash his rear screen so they can fit in a new one with all the de-mist lines intact. He lives up on the hills and not being able to see through the rear-mirror is a pain for him.

Well, I hope they can. A new Volvo rear left-screen will set me back by some RM700-RM1000. The worst is that they come in pairs! (Now, what they heck would I need an additional screen for? Haiyaaa...)

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
There is a repair kit on the market.That is the same material as what is on the window.You kinda lay a peice in there and glue it in.To make the circuit complete.
It doesn't work exactly like that I have seen this product but never used it.Im was told thats how it works.So I may be a little wrong.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, as of just a few minutes ago, the lines on the glass which is visible to the naked eyes, are OK. No cuts or anything missing.

Now i am worried if the connection cable from those areas that are not visible to the eyes are at fault. Oh, man. That'll mean sending to the accessories store.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tech and snorrih ...

According to the online version of the manual:-

" Radio antenna (wagons) --- The radio antenna is built into the driver side window of the cargo area. This antenna also has a factory installed antenna booster. NOTE: The antenna will not work without this booster. "

My question:

Does anyone know where is the booster located?

Thanks.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I believe it is loctaed under the plastic panel under the window.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tried to pry it open with a screw-driver last night. Then I heard a loud SNAP!!!

You guessed it, a thousand and one curses were hurled.

Immediately, I tossed everything back into the casing and locked the car. I have not even looked at the 'damage' i have caused till now.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Something must have broke. I haven't seen it yet. Last few nights saw me coming home late. Though I am quite reluctant to, I'll see about it this afternoon, and post the findings...

·
Registered
21 Posts
If i remember correctly to get at the booster you have to start at the speaker cover first. Then remove the whole lot of the plastic trim down that side a flat paint stripper type blade is i find the best.There is a good chance you will break at least one clip.Remove the cover for your vent near the front of window.Then it is just a case of pulling away the panel carefully (sometimes a good pull is needed).Also a handy thing to have at hand is a tube of instant glue and some silicone but dont use a lot!. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks a lot for the walkthrough, 145. But you know what? I think I'll save the labor for the weekend lah. I want to really know what the heck did I break and so on...

I'd definitely print the wopic though, to make sure I don't snap anything else off the body unnecessarily. And instant glue...? You mean, the one with the picture of an elephant on it?
Have lots of those, though I prefer to use double-sided tapes...

Thanks again, guys!

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you've been tracking the Formula1 GrandPrix, you'll know that Malaysia right now is really hot. Hot as in really hot. Hot as in, not-advised-to-stay-out-in-the-sun-unnecessarily hot. Especially today (Monday) and the eclipse of the equinox = peak of heat.

In any case, after a visit to Giant-Ace Hardware to get the stuffs I normally would need, I'd like to report the following:-

1) No Volvo Window-Antenna Repair Kit is marketed in Malaysia for this matter. As said before, need to change the whole window glass.

2) Which glue would be the best for this purpose? I mentioned super-glue to sales attendant, and she led me to three-full shelves, from top to bottom, left to right, ALL ON GLUES. Oh Man! Deciding on choices IS a big thing! So, which should I go for exactly?
3) I got the flat paint stripper...

In the end, given the heat and the kind of sweat I was generating, I decided to send the car for a snow-foam bath, complete with Armour-Alls on dashboard and leather seats.

P/S:
I am still itching to know about the booster, though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi .The glue is for you or me or anybody that knows volvo plastics.Instant glue is to stitch the plastic if it cracks and you'll never see it.Sometimes its easier to put a blob of silicone where the clips used to be to hold them back in place.
In the uk clips are not a standard item for dealers to stock (I have a bag of spare different types now).When you take off the trim beside the tailgate run the blade underneath and slide up untill you feel the platic clip and prise it a way.Maybe you'll break them all untill you see how they fit in.
Also you know the well that the auto changer sits in slide your finger up the back of panel .I have seen the booster just under there at the bottom but normally nearer the top.
As for the antenna repair kit any good audio repair shop should stock it for PCB's
Good luck

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Errr.... Errr... Err...

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a PCB...?

Thee hee hee ...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts