Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there from a new member and '05 S40 T5 owner. I have spent most of the day trawling the Internet and speaking to my local Volvo dealer and I STILL do not have a definitive answer to the question:

Is it possible to somehow hardwire my iPod in to the S40's HiFi?

Yes, I know that Volvo will be introducing their own FM transmitter as an (expensive!) option but this is as much use as ... well, I'll leave you to complete that gag

I have a Belkin FM transmitter and, sure it works ... but barely and the quality is highly compromised. There must be a 21st Century solution. I, like others in this forum have seen kits that connect to CD changers and solutions for older Volvos.

Please help before I go mad, sell the car, and buy a BMW!!!!

By the way the S40 T5 is an awesome car!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Topper, I am with you on this one. I saw some paperwork about hardwireing an Ipod into an S40 when I was having the Software update done to my stereo on my S40. So far the "official" word is that FM transmitter is the only way. That being said...I talked with some of the guys at the Service Department and they agreed that the software interface will probably be out soon for the S40. The real question is the hardware interface. The new S40 stereo is more unique than most people think. As soon as someone works out a way to tie in the Ipod to the Stereo (which does have proprietary inputs by the way), it should work even with the steering wheel controls.

I hope this happens soon because I need a good reason to buy and Ipod.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys,

I've been following this type of discussion here and elsewhere for a bit and have also been investigating myself and have come up with some interesting news.

I have just received a S40 2.0D (4 wks ago) and am desparate to get my iPod wired in to my High Performance sound system in the S40 but can't seem to find a product ready. I could use my Belkin FM transmitter but let's face it... the quality sucks. Then I discovered the Icelink product via a friend with an Audi A4 with built in iPod.

On their site it states that a direct connection product enabling control of the iPod via the steering wheel controls and partial display of iPod screen contents on the volvo in car radio will be available end September 2005.

Good news eh? I'm on their waiting list in any case to see if they deliver on time. Check the URL for yourselves.

http://www.dension4u.de/shop/product_info....products_id=423

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thank you for that!

I will be watching this closely. I knew someone would hardwire the Ipod...it was just a matter of "when"

{EDIT}

Ok, so I got some more info on this. This hookup will not work on the USA 2004.5 and newer S40. The stereo is very different from the XC90 and the C70. I guess we have to wait a bit longer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
anyone got something on the Volvo V50-iPod problem? Got High Performance audiosystem ..... but no iPod connectivity (no FM solutions thanks)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,

It really comes down to this. Does your radio have inputs (i.e., left and right stereo) on the rear? They could be for a CD changer or for something else. If they exist, they could be some sort of DIN plug or perhaps a pair of female RCA plugs. If you have some sort of an aux input on the rear of the radio, you can hook up your iPod. If there isn't an input, either your cannot hook up your iPod or your will have to modify or have someone modify the radio to add inputs and some sort of simple switching circuit. Not terribly hard to do, but you will never want to have to take the radio in after the mod for warranty.

·
Registered
325 Posts
That is the key of the problem finding the input and being able to tap into it. Does anyone have information on the S40.5 audio systems wiring, and not just for high performance audio system.

I have the basic system and one other major point for me is to be able to use my steering wheel mounted controls which means essentially being able to have access to the internal audio system controls.

I have tried to track down the manufacturer of my audio system with no luck. Has anyone else tried that?

Greg

·
Registered
16 Posts
I work on a dealer and we got mail that it would not be possible with ipod in S40 or V50. Because it uses a plug that is for CD changer. And the S40 and V50 doesnt have this plug on the back.
only for S60,x70,S80 and xc90...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts