Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide on a synthetic oil for my 15year old 740gl and it occured to me that my volvo forum friends might have some insight to the inquiry. So which is it and what type should I use for my b230f engine? How long of interval with synthetic is reasonable?

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Personally, I use synthetic, Casrtol if I can find it, Valvoline if I cant. U should still use whatever grade Volvo calls for. If your not sure call the dealer, or most motor oil company web sites have tool links like this to find the required oil:

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/LubesSelector.do

I change my oil every 3 months regardless of the mileage...Im always under on the mileage...But I understand that u can easily let synthetic go 7000 miles with normal driving

I hope that helps...

·
Registered
35 Posts
okay i am a truch mechanic and have had five years experiance with amsoil. most oils synthetic and non-synthetic are still petroleum based wich come from the ground and no amount of refinement will get it all out. amsoil is 100% synthetic and is good for 25,000 miles, filter at 12,500miles. i used to think it was a joke but now i swear by it.. i have seen guys running trucks in 100 deg. weather and have a rad hoe blow then loose all coolant and still drive up o 30 mile to shop without overheat using amsoil.!!!

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Since the thread is restricted to just between Amsoil and Mobil1, i would just like to suggest that if you could, get a copy of the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) that will entail the full composition of the oil in question.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Sorry, pressed reply too fast.

If you are fussy about what you feed your engine, you may want to do a little more reserach on the issue. For instance, which group of oil does the particular brand / type belong to?

Group III, IV or V?

Mineral, PAO, or Ester?

... for instance...

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you really would like to know what is in that oil before you use it, and what is in it after you use it, check this site out.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi

They go into a lot of detail on that site. Speaking of Castrol, they like the German stuff (you know, the stuff made by Germans).

There is a lot of info there, not just on oil.

Personally I use Mobil 1 EP in my truck and my wifes van, and Mobil High Mileage in my daughters cars, "92 Subaru and "87 Volvo. But it's still your car and your choice, read all the info you can find and make your choice.

Richie

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Thanks for the web address, Richie.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts