Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just quoted a price of $750.00 to replace the alternator on my 2001 volvo s80 t6. I am considering attempting to replace it myself. The average price online is about 200 compared to the 460 the shop is going to charge. Does anyone have any advice on where I can find the alternator and any problems that I might run into when I attempt to fix it out myself. Thanks

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You might also be able to just replace the Brushes in the ALT.
I have done it a couple of times without problems.

You will have to remove the power steering pump and the upper hose to get the ALT. out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tech,
Do I need to flush out the PS pump fluid when taking out the PS pump and hose? Or, simply put the PS pump on the cylinder head while replacing the alternator.
So far, I replaced so many alternator and starter brushes and didn't have single issue with that.

By the way, where can I buy a Volvo brushes? I think Volvo S80 alternator brushes look like the same one in the S90. I am really appreciated your kind help. Thanks.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
QUOTE(slee1 @ Oct 5 2005, 06:59 PM)Tech,
Do I need to flush out the PS pump fluid when taking out the PS pump and hose? Or, simply put the PS pump on the cylinder head while replacing the alternator.
So far, I replaced so many alternator and starter brushes and didn't have single issue with that.

By the way, where can I buy a Volvo brushes? I think Volvo S80 alternator brushes look like the same one in the S90. I am really appreciated your kind help. Thanks.
[snapback]16255[/snapback]​

The S90 alternators are different.I think you can only buy the brushes from the dealer.Im not sure if the aftermarket sells them yet.

QUOTErepojaeger Posted Oct 5 2005, 08:28 PM
I got the alt. out and everything back in, what is the trick to getting the belt back on please help

The belt is a pain in the butt. I try to get most of it on then start it on the steering pump then pull on the belt and turn the engine with my hands to get it on the rest of the way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks, Tech.
How do you remove the PS pump assembly and hose? Do I need to flush out all of the PS fluid? Or, simply remove PS pump mounting bolts and put it on the cylinder head. Thank you very much again for your help.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Just remove the mounting bolts for the pump and lay it to the side.
You don't need to flush it.

You will also need to remove the upper radiator hose to get the Alt.out.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
At work we use Synthetic Power Steering fluid that is fine to use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts