Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have a 1982 264 GLE which the Bosch Alternator in it has just FUBARED itself Majorly the alt warning light remains on but gets brighter as you acclerate harder any ideas?

i also got a quote here for a new replacement the same type and model one was 1,200 Yes you read correctly and 1,500 yes your not stoned can i use a alternator from another veichle like say a holden for example which is much cheaper and more down to earth also any sujestions as to an alternate alternator that uses a 1 wire setup would be helpful as id like to keep the car as much factory as i can

Dale.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
my older 264 got altern replace about 10 years back and I was in Sydney then and just went an auto elec at Hornsby and they did a changeover unit while I had a cup of coffee - about $400 and still going strong

BTW have you checked voltage regulator to see if IT is working, or has a Sparky actually tested altern and found a short etc?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No havent Checked That As Yet but the fact that the ALT warning light gets brighter as u accelerate harder is strange as well

im thinking mabye have the whole alternator Rebuilt might be easier

Dale.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
the alt warning light responds to the charging system as a whole and the thing that says if alt provides HI volts or trickle charge to battery is the volt reg

its your money but IMHO it is far more likely to be volt reg from yr symtoms - generally an alt would just stop dead

also as people keep saying here re fuel problems to get a press gauge, the same applies here to get a volt gauge, cept far easier to instal - then you can see if it goes up to say 14 V after you start and back to say 13 V after initial top up and volt reg cuts in

point is if it IS reg problem the problem will still be there after you buy new alt

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I Have The Canadian Import 264 or so im told the 1 that has the clock the reserve fuel gauge and the volt meter now when it idles it sits jsut above the ending of the first red bit of the gauge now when you accelerate it sometimes jumps to the middle of the gauge but sometimes jsut a litle aaway from the red bit so indincating say 11.5 - 12V

sounds like the reg to me as well the trouble is finding it i have a 1982 264 GLE and your help in finding it would be apprecieated

Dale.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts