Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought our Volvo XC90 T6 AWD (2005) in Dec. 2004. We have put 3000 miles on it. It was running fine until a couple of weeks ago, when the car started to "sputter" after idling for a few minutes. In other words it did not want to move. As we were driving it home the message came up "transmission service requested" We barely made it home (with hazards on). Volvo came and towed the vehicle to the dealership. Monday they called us and said they were going to have to replace the transmission!
My question is...is this a problem any one else has experienced? Are there any other problems we should worry about?
We purchased a Volvo for our family because of the awesome reviews and for it's safety. I don't know how safe I feel when after 3000 miles the transmission had to be replaced.
We do alot of traveling, alot of it through the desert from CA to AZ. The last thing I want to happen is to be stranded out in the middle of nowhere.
We have had it back for a week now and as before it seems to be running fine. I, however am nervous about it breaking down again.
I would love some reassurance so I can be excited about my Volvo again!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
There was some problems with the transmission.Most of the time if they replace them you wont have anymore problems.The company that makes them for Volvo also makes the to General Motors.The company has had some problems with them and the bad news is the customers have to suffer because of the company that makes the for both companys.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is this a known problem to Volvo?
If it's, shoudn't it be recall issue?

Will this also affect the XC90 AWD T2.5 2004 model?

Thanks,
KS911.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Sometimes there is a trans problem with the AWD models as well.It is kinda hit and miss.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, dont feel too bad! I have had nothing but problems with my new S40. Of course, from the beginning it was never Volvos fault. About 3 weeks after buying my car, a Lexus SC hit the front side of my car on the highway not really causing much visible damage. (as you can see from the pictures) Turns out, that amount of damage cost $13,000. The entire engine had to be replaced. I guess you can't judge an accident by the exterior but I was in disbelief that it only takes that to total an engine. The car of course has never been the same....the power steering whines really loud!! Ive now had the car 7 months and just recently my S40 broke down again while driving to the store. Something exploded in the engine comparment and the car had to be towed. Now this was Volvos fault because they did not replace the engine mounts and the engine broke loose. I still have faith in the car LOL although its been a headache. I cant blame Volvo for all of it, a car is a car and I dont think you will ever get what you expect.

Rob

Attachments

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Sorry to hear about the trouble you had.But i know how you feel been there doen that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2005 T5 XC90 and after 2,000 miles I had a problem with the alternator. "Power system requires urgent maintenance." Car broke down on the way home. Eventually made it back and the dealer has done all the work gratis. But was a bummer of an experience after being such a new car.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Every car has problems sometimes no matter what kind of car it is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2004 T6 XC90; I am in the process of having my second transmission installed. I am stuck on vacation and currently in a rental car. This is the first and last Volvo I will buy!!!! We are considering trying to trade it in on something else because we feel that Volvo has a transmission defect that the company is unable to fix. I have 5 kids and this was a big purchase for me that is one of the worst decisions I have ever made. I had the first transmission replaced at 5000 miles and now the second at 36,000 miles. I guess if I keep the vehicle I will pay out of my pocket next time. Do not purchase the XC90 until they have worked out the bugs on the transmission. I will let you know how Volvo plans to get me home from my vacation while they wait to get the transmission to install.

·
Registered
150 Posts
When a car isn't running right and you lose faith in it, dump it fast and take the loss.

If it is a leased car through Volvo just drive it to the dealership on a Saturday and make sure that it's clean and park it in front of the front doors. Leave it there but make sure you take a picture of it parked on their property and bring the keys (both sets) to the head person and place the keys on his desk (take another pic) and walk out.

Your next step is to advise Volvo of what happened and state that you will not make another payment until your car is running right or until you lose your fear of being stranded. Make sure that they understand where you left it .

This is my opinion! (for legal purpose's)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have a 2004 T6AWD XC90, great car, lots of room, etc...However, had transmission replaced at 30,000 miles. Just recently had engine mounts and frontend bushings(?) replaced. All under warranty but one wonders....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts