Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have an XC90 AWD D5 and would like to buy all season tires. I live in Switzerland and there is some amount of driving in snow that I need to do. The dealer wants me to buy another set of rims with wintertires, and I am tired of this story. I also own a 10 year old Toyota RAV4 with all season tires that work great. No fuss with changing tires for winter! The tires on that car are not available for the XC90 required sizes.

Can anyone give a good recommendation? There is a great forum discussing tires:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresult....jsp?type=SSTAS

where the best tires appear to be the Yokohama Geolandar HT/S G052, which are not sold in Europe. The Michelin ones don't seem to work well on the XC90.

Any experiences, suggestions?
Ronald

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I have a GMC Yukon, and after Firestone and Goodyear, the Yokohama Geolanders were great...snow, ice, summer, u name it. Will defenitely get them again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Mr Gadget,

Assuming you have 18" rims you will have a somewhat limited choice, whether you are looking for summer, all-season or winter tyres. Tyres to suit the 17" rims are more common though and will offer much more choice.

However, in either rim size, Nokian can supply their WR tyres which seem to get great reviews - as good as many non-studded winter tyres but good for all-season use too. Additionally, they have an impressive treadwear rating of 500 so they should last a long time and, hopefully, a great deal longer than my Contenental Premium Contacts (treadwear rating 280) which are quite worn at just 17,000 miles.

I'm going to change them for the Nokian's for the winter and replace the Continentals in the spring (to get the wear out of them - I don't intend to buy any more...).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have for the last 2 years had Nokian WR on my XC90. Great all-year tire both in dry and snow/slip conditions. Great treadware compared to the Conti tire. Only disadvantage in my opinion is the ability in rain/wet road, where the tire tends to skid easily.

For Switzerland the tire can be bought online on: http://www.reifendirekt.ch/

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been using the Michelin Synchrone 4x4 on dry + wet + snowy roads in Europe for 45.000km now and they're still okay!
rgrds,
Dieter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts