Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wonder if anyone has had this before. I recently bought a V70 T5 1998 with full Volvo service right up to current miles ( 135000).

loveley car but aircon didnt work .

I have already been advised by Tech that first place to check is low pressure switch. I jumped switch and compressor comes on . so we assumed no freon. Today I had it gassed up . Still compressor doesnt come on so we jump switch again and lo and behold compressor comes on. The aircon is only just cold after about 15 mins but then if we plug connector back into switch it wont fire up.
The auto electrician says it is a clutch fault on my compressor as he is getting affirmative signs that the low pressure swich is sending signal to compressor but a weak clutch is preventing compressor from working.
Does this sound like a compressor problem as he is advising new compressor ( £500 !!)

thanks

steve

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
If you jump it and it work and won't work plugged in it doesn't make sense to be a clutch.
It should turn on either way.As long as it has power.
I would try the switch first.
how low was it on freon?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure just how low on freon.

If I remember right he said the magnetic clutch can demagnatise after a while and sometimes wont stay engaged or sometimes wont even work at all.

steve

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
That is common on those cars for the compressor to do that.
But I just wanted to make sure that you don't have a leaking evaperator.
I have seen the leak so bad that they empty in 2 hours.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No we dont have a leak the engineer has been round with a coloured light and no eveidence of dye leaking.
Strange though cos left car for 2 days after running aircon for about 1 hour on a long run. The clutch could be felt dropping in and out and air con did just work but very intermittently.

But today it works fine!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts