Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fan blows out a gassy toxic steam when I switch the fan on. I can't warm the car or clear the screen. If I turn the temperature dial, the steam comes out so I have to have it switched to cold! The passenger side carpet get wet so I guess there might be a leak thats linked to the fan?

please help.

thanks to Tech for the previous advice

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Either 1 of 2 things are happening.1 the heater core is leaking. 2. the A/C drain is clogged and draining in the car.Does it smell lika anti freeze?If not go on your passenger side on the side of the dash.Pull back the carpet from the front of the dash to the back.On the side where your left leg would be if you are sitting in the pass. seat.Then you will see a black panel behind the carpet.Feel towards the back of the dash and push the panel towards the pass. door then slide the panel backwards then remove it.Once that is done you will see a funny looking hose that goes into the floor.That is the drain for the A/C.The best way to get it unclogged is to blow some air into it then quick hook it back up and let it drain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Mar 2 2005, 04:58 PM)Either 1 of 2 things are happening.1 the heater core is leaking. 2. the A/C drain is clogged and draining in the car.Does it smell lika anti freeze?If not go on your passenger side on the side of the dash.Pull back the carpet from the front of the dash to the back.On the side where your left leg would be if you are sitting in the pass. seat.Then you will see a black panel behind the carpet.Feel towards the back of the dash and push the panel towards the pass. door then slide the panel backwards then remove it.Once that is done you will see a funny looking hose that goes into the floor.That is the drain for the A/C.The best way to get it unclogged is to blow some air into it then quick hook it back up and let it drain.
[snapback]4390[/snapback]​

Thanks for this, If it is the core (cos i'm not sure what anti freeze smells like) what should I do? It does sound like the drain though being as the footwell gets wet.

I'll try and let you know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

I have found the hose that goes into the floor or bulkhead. When I pull it, it moves but wont come out? The other end of it goes somewhere behind the dash?

Am I doing this correctly.

Also when I pull up the carpet there are puddles of fluid by the hose end that goes into the floor. Above this is some kind of white plastic container that holds liquid I think with 2 alloy pipes going into it. I t looks like the leak may have come from there?

What do you think

Thanks again in advance

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Is the fluid GREEN? you would have to pull the hose out of the floor.And those pipes lead to the heater core.You might want to have someone replace it.It is pretty complicated to replace.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes the fluid is green. If it is the heater core, would any stop leak solution be good as a temporary fix?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I wouldn't chance it because it could clog the cooling system.You can try if you like to but I would not advise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts