Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Just back from France, on the warm weather week I noticed two or three times that the fan blower on the heater aircon system started up on it's own, a long time after i had stopped and locked up. No! its not the thermo rad fan cutting in, I checked, and its a full speed motor blowing into the car. I dived in the car last time, and noted the heating system was off, and the motor speed control was off too. Is the car supposed to do this? and if so under what circumstances? I was a bit worried about it draining the battery over time..

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
this is like

1 the little man in yr fridge what turns on the light, and/or

2 those GREEN folk in Lord of the Rings - but these are the Volvo test crash dummies from 1970 144 models coming back to get their piece of the action

as you are from UK you will understand why I complained so bitterly about the web cam being turned off at nite this year at Wimbolden, meaning I could not look out for those Wombles on the Common, because we all know they only come out at nite

maybe you got Wombles in Volvo

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It is called an afterblow function and it is supposed to do that.It turns on and drys the evaperator so that mold can't grow on it.It also keeps it dry to make it last longer in the long run.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Tech gave you the correct answer. That function is mentioned in your owner's handbook. But, it is not all that easy to understand if you are new to Volvo.

Also, the fan only stays on for ten minutes.

Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the answer, it actually makes sense to me as my son recently had to have his aircon matrix filter replaced ( on a seat leon) as it had gone all mouldy nasty and smelly. By the way its great to have answers from all over the planet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I actually have the problem, whereby, my air blower stays on inside the cabin after pulling the key and there's no way that this is a "cooling" fan. This is the vent fan and it's also effected the speed of the airconditioner. There are times where the air may come on but is not responsive to increasing or decreasing speed. Other times, the air won't come on at all. Some people tell me it's the blower motor or relay switch but I hesitate to take it to a dealer only to be charged 125 dollars to hook it up to a diagnostic mach.

I live in S. FL/Miami-dade...

any suggestions?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts