Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 93 850 GLT which had a slow speed front collision at approx. 15 km/h. The guy rearended a p/u and so the truck bumber broke the grille, headlights, signal lights and crumpled the hood. This in turn activated the airbags smashing the guy in the jaw from steering wheel bag then the passenger airbag deployed and somehow smashed the windshield. The dash cover was still hanging by a nylon strap on one side. It may have become a projectile smashing the windshield. The car had no collision insuarance so it was sold as is. I don't want to have these airbags now that I see the damage they can do.

Where do I find the information to remove the old airbag components so I can put the interior portion of the repairs back to normal?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I would not advise leaving them out of the car.You also have to check it might be illegal to leave them out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Feb 27 2005, 05:00 PM)I would not advise leaving them out of the car.You also have to check it might be illegal to leave them out.
[snapback]4137[/snapback]​

After some more digging I was able to find the following information regarding deactivating airbags. It turns out CBC Marketplace did a story on this very topic.

see: http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/c...deactivate.html

It appears there is a proper but lengthly process in doing this.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Most states in the U.S. it is illegal to disconnect the air bags if the car came with it.There are few occassions where they can be disconnected for medical conditions or similiar conditions.

It is all up to you but I still would not reccomend removing them.I have seen the save many,many lives and would keep them.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(wolfclan @ Feb 28 2005, 06:59 AM)The car had no collision insuarance so it was sold as is. I don't want to have these airbags now that I see the damage they can do.

[snapback]4116[/snapback]​

What...? NO collision insurance?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts