Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
We had the A/C evap replaced in Feb. We haven't been running the A/C very much since then. We did run it on a warm day few days ago. It stopped running cold after a while. After turning it off for a while then turning it back on again it was cool again. It worked today but I didn't have it on very long.

Before we had it replaced it only ran warm even after recharging.

It there a sensor or could it be the clutch on the condensor that cuts off. I may need to run it longer to see if we still hear the clicking sound when the A/C cycles at all when it stops running cold again. If it is a sensor, can it be replaced. ?$

Suggestions as to what the real cause may be? Possible next A/C repair. (We know that the evap was leaky and needed replacement before getting it done.)

It would be nice to have it working right again before the weather gets too hot since with went through last spring and summer without it working.

(is it possible to edit title for spelling...if so, how?)

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
There is 2 things that can be happening.One the low pressure switch is bad and the A/C is freezing up.Or the A/C compressor is going bad.When they get hot the clutch will disengage and still have power to it.It works when the compressor is cool but once it warms up it stops.A good way to tell it let it sit on for a little.Or drive it real easy for a while.Then when you can step on it really hard hold it and let it shift at the max RPM for the gears from a stop.Atleast first and second.Then if it starts blowing warm it is the compressor.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My husbands kept the car idling w/A/C running when I while I went into a store. The A/C stayed cold until we drove a few minutes. Then the outside temp felt cooler than what was coming out of the vents,so we turned it off and opened the sunroof and a couple of windows instead.

So, that sounds like our compressor would need to be replaced, right?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
If it happens again have him open the hood and look at the pipes going into the firewall on the passenger side.If they have ice on them then the low pressure switch is bad.If that isn't it have him look at the Compressor it is all the way at the bottom towards the front of the car.If the center is not spinning then most likely it is bad.Most of the time if you turn it off fro like 10 min then it will work again for a little while.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Tech.

It was doing the same thing prior to replacing the evaporator, before the recharges stopped working last spring. At which time we just stopped using the A/C. The system got so it smelled foul, similar to manure in a horsebarn or worse. The foul odor was there if you just turned on the fan if I recall correctly.

Back in Nov. I did have a guy check it, he recharged it and it got reset somehow or something, which caused it to work again for a several days. I don't know if that had to do with the low pressure switch. I can't remember if he determined it was icing up although I do recall icing being mentioned.

I will print what you wrote so we can try more troubleshooting.

It does work again after turning it off and waiting a while, then turning it back on again. Does that mean that it is more likely the compressor that is bad or the low pressure switch? I imagine the low pressure switch would cost much less to replace.

But since we recharged the system so long (at least a couple of years) when the evap was leaking that we could have overcharged and damaged the compressor.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It is still possible that both is the cause.But if it is not icing then the compressor is bad.The compressor is bad just from age nothing you did.It is really the clutch itself that is bad.Most of the time it is just better to replace the compressor than just the clutch.Most of the time if you just replace the clutch the compressor goes shortly after that.
Another thing he can do to help is when it stops keep a metal hanger or something like that in the car.It needs to be able to stick to a magnet.If that happens with the compressor see if it sticks to the compress clutch the center part of the pulley.That would mean the compressor is still magnatized and the clutch is disengadged.Then it is bad.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reposting here since this is the thread that it belongs on.

Re:A/C ...the Volvo Indy Shop guy is saying that it was low on refrigerant and is probably the result of the replacement evap probably being an aftermarket and not OEM. That is a big disappointment. I hope it won't need to be redone. He refilled it and put in a dye. He said he has seen aftermarket evaps leak at the 'clips'. They do not line up properly.

At this point, he doesn't think that it has to do with the compressor. He thinks that the compressor is working properly.

I still wonder about that since it was doing it just after we'd refill the evap (last Spring)before replacement...unless the prior to replacement the leak was so big that enough R-134a leaked out immediately so that it caused it to get warm after driving in hot weather... in the stop and go traffic in our congested county (we have long red lights). Then we just stopped using it for the rest of the spring and summer last year.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Keep me posted.Keep an eye on what I expalined and see if it happens again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Update:

When I had my oil leaks fixed I asked about the A/C. They said it was low on 'Freon'. They had to put 2 or 3 cans into it with some dye. They said that the evaporator is leaking probably because it was replaced with an aftermarket part.

Right after picking the car up from having the oil leaks fixed I smelled gas. I brought it to the dealer to check if it was the gas tank since my Vin number is part of a recall for gas tanks. They said the leak in coming from the front of the engine specifically at the fuel injector seals. They thought that a fuel injector was bad. I stopped at another local mechanic who doubted that the injector was bad because I had no ignition/idle problems. He suggested that they may have nicked the injector seal and to bring it back to the mechanics who repaired the oil leaks/seal replacements.

I brought it back to them. They couldn't replicate the fuel leak/smell or locate any fuel leak. But they did put in another can of freon for the A/C. It had only been about a week since I picked it up from them.

So, I brought it back to the mechanic who replaced the evaporator. He can't find any leak in the evaporator...doesn't see any dye. He said there was a bit of oil around the connections to the evaporator...no dye...so he thinks that was just oil left over from the oil seal leaks.

He did finally get the A/C to cut out and blow warm after the idle..then the speed up-drive which I had tried to explain to him. It did it 3x for them in one day then none the next day. He is convinced that the problem in the clutch on the compressor that is worn and not the sensors. There was a rusty film around that area. He said it may not be worth just replacing the clutch alone but would probably recommend replacing the whole thing (this is what you said in your post above). Maybe the 'freon' is leaking from a hose????

Waiting to hear back from him...probably with pricing. We have spent so much in the last few months that I am not sure we can/should do that right away. My husband probably would have prefrerred my replacing my beloved car with a newer Toyota instead of dumping so much money into this car.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Here is a Quiestion for you and your husband.
Does he have any technical skills at all?
You can spend about $10.00 and he can look for the dye himself and then you will have more of an idea of where it is.
One time I was at wal-mart and saw A black light kit with yellow glasses.The light is like a Pen light.The kit was like $10.00 and it works great.
You can buy one and then wait till close to dark.That is so it will be easier to see.Put the glasses on and look around all the A/C pipes good.
Then if he doesn't see anything yet have him look under the car by the exhaust system.He will see a heat sheild that is held on with plastic nuts.Look by the 2 front nuts.One on each side.That is where the water for the A/C drains.
If he still finds nothing let me know then I will have him do one more thing.
I will have to type the instructions for that as well.

Hope this helps some.
Keep me posted!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We have one of those little black lights...but not the yellow glasses. Are they that necessary?

I'll show my husband your post when he gets home.

We picked up the car this afternoon...after being without it again since Monday.
The mechanic will call me with a price for the compressor...but we will need to wait...put the bucks aside.

On the way home the A/C started to get less cool...it was going to get warm again. I then just started to turn it off at the long red lights. Lots of traffic. 87 degrees. It did work after that when I was able to turn it on.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
No they are not necessary.It just help enhance the color of the dye.
If it gets warm that fast there is a big leak!!!!

Let me know what he says.The other thing I am going to look at if he sees nothing from the upper post is the actual evaperator.I will tell him how to get to it to see if there is dye there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts