Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm thinking of getting a Volvo. Currently eyeing on S40, S60 or S80, but seriously needing some advice from proud/dissapointed owners out there. Reason being I've saw more bad news then good news about the models. It kind of gives me a chill to have seen the bad news.

Why I've decided to check out forums is because my friend actually told me that Volvo is not as good as last time (in terms of safety features). Also that most of the car has already incorporated equal if not better safety features. Well, not sure if this is true but so far, I've only seen problems regarding non-safety issues.

So, I hope to hear from you guys who are reading this. You can either post your comment here or drop me an email at [email protected] I will appreciate your feedback and time.

Thanks.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
My opinion is go for a S60.They are great cars and they are very safe.
I have seen many of them wrecked and people walked away.

·
Registered
261 Posts
egsoh,
I have had my 2005 S40 2.4i since January. There have been some minor things that had to be fixed (stereo software upgrade, Washer in the seat that had to be replaced) Nothing major and no cost to me. Volvo has always supplied a comparable loaner and done the work in less than one work day. This is my first Volvo and I can say without a doubt that it is awsome. The service has been great and the car is awsome. It is comfortable, stylish, and has great performance. As for the safety...I do not want to test it, but I would rather have the Volvo than most cars for safety. They just have more experience with incorperating safety features.
I hope that helps some.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have my S40 T5 for about a month now and I just love it. I feel it is quite an interesting thing, although unfair, to compare S40, S60, S80 and frankly to some degree cost is probably the biggest factor at the end whether we like it or not.
However if by a miracle it wasn't' the case so much it would come down to what specifics you are looking for. I don't know much about the S80 but I'm lucky enough to have a close colleague who owns an S60R. It is quite an AMAZING car if your are looking for performance and luxury. If it is more size that matter, S60 would probably be well suited, but I have to say once and for all, I love the exterior look of the S40 so much better!!!!! Mine is black and although I wanted a red in the first place I'm happier to have the black as it work so well with this design. It's almost a different car.
It is hard to pin point what it is but as a designer I feel that the proportion work very well with the sharp end tail details. I also think it has more of the BMW front wheel housing that as more character and feel superior. The sides are much cleaner on the S40 and the round that is created along the windows on the S60 is kind of non-elegant in my opinion. I also think that the middle console should have been standard on the S60 instead of its very busy mid console. Anyway you get the idea. Don't misunderstand me, I still think the S60 is a great car. I just think the design is superior with the S40 and that the S60 design is more easily crushed by BMW design for a comparable price. Greg

·
Registered
261 Posts
Gregoire is correct. the S60 is an awsome car (especially the S60R) but look at the price difference. I love my S40. I have great performance and styling for a very good price. That is a personal decision. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies.
Seriously, S40 looks gorgeous.
Thinking to test drive it...

I have one more question.
Not sure how is the car in Malaysia.
Is it doing good?

The thing that makes me confuse sometimes is that the bad things I've heard but yet so many people getting it (seen lots of S40/S60/S80 on the road)...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have had my S40T5 AWD for about five months, no problems at all other than the occasional squeaking from the back seat which we are trying to isolate.

As some may know I spent 5 years at a dealership and went through thorough testing with all the models. Let me assure you Volvo is still as safe now as ever. The passive and active safety they incorporate is incredible. The thinking even goes down to the vehicle coliding with a pedestrian. Lets keep in mind the size difference between the S80 and the new S40, when volvo was doing crash tests the new S40 passed the same side impact test as the S80 when it came out in 1999. The XC90 has vents in the B pillar for only one reason it fits. the rollover strength of that SUV is incredible open both doors and try to fit your hands around the B pillar.

Now comparing the S40 and S60, I actually find more leg room in the back of an S40 than the S60. the S60 overall has more room(trunk space etc.) When I test drove the S40 on a closed course I was asking the instructor(profesional racing instructor) if the S40 T5 would compare to the S60R, he told me he had driven both and because of the size difference if you have two equal drivers in each of those cars the S40 could give the S60 a very hard time.
As far as comparing the S40 and S80, two totally different cars. Completely different buyers generally speaking.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have a sun roof and I have been in heavy rains and so far no leaks what so ever...I love it and use it all the time.
How long have you had your S40 before it leaked?

Greg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dear Egsoh

In Malaysia, only the S40 2.4i Auto/Geatronic model is available. The choice of colors are limited. Understandably, the auto market here is not as big as in Europe or the States.
I bought mine in Nov-04 , Safari Geeen, V-kool tinted and so far no major problem whatsoever after clocking ~20,000 km. Had my first scheduke service last week.
I've onwed other cars before (Toyota Altis. Proton) but this babe is really something. No regrets.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts