Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a store to pick up something and came back to my car and started it. The lights flickered and did not start. The radio and a/c worked with the lights and everything, it just wouldn't start. I swapped the battery out for a new one to get home and did a full test at Advanced Auto Parts where it's saying No Charge on Load for my alternator. I replaced the alternator and had it retested. It still says No Charge. I spliced the battery wire for the alternator and added the 250A fuse that I've seen someone people say could have been an issue and the dealership had replaced it with a 250. It still says No Charge but this time the car does not feel sluggish and feels like it's accelerating slightly better somehow. Is there something wrong or is the test saying No Charge for whatever reason. I tried two different locations for Advanced Auto.

Attached are my two test results after a new battery and after a new alternator. I do not have the one after the fuse was installed but it's roughly the same numbers.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,971 Posts
sounds like it needed neither the battery or the alternator, either that or the new alternator was also a dud.time to get it checked by someone who isnt just going to load the parts cannon, is the exciter wire for the alternator functioning?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm hoping it's not a dud but I'm still in the timeframe to exchange it running out of things that it could be. I have a multimeter coming in to test the exciter wire, (is it the little wire on the alternator? I can't get it off again).

·
Super Moderator
1,971 Posts
yes, it needs a connection on that wire to work, usually that goes to the ignition light on the dashboard, if that doesnt come on, it could be the bulb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts