Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hallo,
I'd really like some advice on what to look for when buying a 1991 Volvo 940.
The one we've seen has done 180,000 km but seems in good condition (apart from the mileometer not working proerly)
From forum user's experience is there any technical/engine/mechanical issues with this type of volvo?

any advice/comments welcome
thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
hi im TOM i allso just bought an 91 940 turbo, u did not say if yourd is turbo are not if it is i would have the turbo rebuilt,timing belt and water pump replaced.if it turbo chang the oil and air filters more often.this is my thied volvo to our family.i love volvos i think they are the best cars made.oh ya if u have power seats take out the switch and clean it with some elct. cleaner.if u have more to ask me just do so.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi trolley

I've had my '94 940 wagon for just over a year now and I haven't run into any major problems yet. The only minor problem has been a coolant leak (thread on this forum) This was cured with online help from Tech and my B-in-Law.

If you get under the car, as far back as the oil filter, you'll see two U shaped coolant pipes (in/out) from the engine block to the oil filter base. One of these pipes was leaking around the clip, but only when the system was under pressure. Therefore, not enough pressure so the e/fan wasn't coming in and the car was overheating.

I haven't had any problems with the turbo, although the engine burns a bit of oil under hard acceleration.

My 940's done 96,000 miles (you do the conversion
) although the mileometer shows 66,000. This is due to a new dashboard being fitted at 30,000 miles. This was done by the local Volvo dealer, so it's all in the service book.

·
Registered
295 Posts
From my conversions (1 Km = .62 Miles) the car has about 111,000 Miles on it. I think that the Timing belts are rated for about 60,000 Miles. You might want to changed the Timing belt and Water Pump soon.

No, it isn't exactly what you had asked ("some advice on what to look for"), but it is something you might want to keep in the back of your mind. When I bought my Wifes 1994 940 it had 109,000 Miles, I changed the Radiator (slight leak), the Timing Belt (it was coming due) and the Water Pump (while I was in there it's easy).

·
Registered
93 Posts
The first thing that went wrong with my volvo 94 940 was the waterpump i mean it was a matter of months and it had to be replaces about how many miles would you replace the waterpump?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've replaced water pumps on two cars (one a Volvo, the other a small block Chevy V8) at about 110,000 miles. However, regular coolant changes seem to allow water pumps to last much longer. I got twice that mileage out of another water pump, and it still wasn't leaking. Keeping the coolant clean and rust free seems to help the seals. (Same thing applies to brake system components; change brake fluid every two years, and you may never have to change the master cylinder or calipers.)

Inspect your car regularly for evidence of a water pump leak. The fan will spray coolant around the front of the engine compartment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts