Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i was just wondering what you guys think of this price on this 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo. I drove it today and it ran fine but there was somethin scrapin the brake or somethin? maybe i accidentally had the e brake on... uhh the inside is in fair contion. the panel and the dash are nice. the front seats are leather and are worn out and ripped. the rear is better but still cracked and worned. The exterior has some peeling on the rear spoiler....scratches around the windshield nozzle. The front wiper on the lights is broken one of them. Could use a good shampoo on the carpet . Scratches on the outside of the car. The owner is the original owner and has all service records. What do you think? He wants $2700 and it has 141K on it. Thanks guys.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I would try to get him down to about 2,300 to 2,500 and that sounds pretty good.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright thanks tech, that turbo is the reason why i want to buy this car, that was my first time drivin the turbo i mean when i put it in sport mode,, taht thing was flying around everywhere.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
For what my two cents is worth to you-here goes. Have the Volvo agent give you a price of all the mechanical work-don't guess what is wrong with it-just a price for the repairs. Forget the panel, paint, leather work-just mechanical. Give the seller his asking price minus the cost of those repairs. That should give him a good price for selling-you a good price for buying. That way you are not buying a lemon and paying the earth for it.

Hope that helps rather than confuses you further!!

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok i get yeah Auckland. Like go to like the dealer and have them check out whats wrong with it, mechanically and then see how much it is if any to fix it. Yeah i get it now thanks. I have never bought a used car before but that turbo...man that thing is sweet.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(Auckland @ Jun 12 2005, 05:03 PM)
For what my two cents is worth to you-here goes. Have the Volvo agent give you a price of all the mechanical work-don't guess what is wrong with it-just a price for the repairs. Forget the panel, paint, leather work-just mechanical. Give the seller his asking price minus the cost of those repairs. That should give him a good price for selling-you a good price for buying. That way you are not buying a lemon and paying the earth for it.

Hope that helps rather than confuses you further!!

[snapback]9496[/snapback]​

Hey, Crunk... That's a sweet one you're after. Don't run after it, but let it run for you (breaking it in, will be hard!
) The Turbo-bug has finally bitten you, eh?

Anyway, I agree with Auckland.

Forget the exteriors. Well, not totally lah.
Just put them aside. And concentrate on the engine. That's more important. Assuming there's no apparent problem (no indicator lights, etc), get a proper mechanic to look at things, as well. Sometimes, the good ones can even forecast things that need to be changed within the next three months.

Don't forget to let us know how it goes, OK?

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i just drove it again today and brought a friend along. but neways yeah i drove it again in sport mode and the turbo was of course kicked in but suddenly it wouldnt shift out of 3rd gear for some reason. like i was red lining but the car didnt go. but then when i came to a stop light and put it in park again then it ran fine. uhh hmm there was this really funky smell when i was goin like 50..then the check engine light came on! iwas like o h crap. so is it a lot of money to maintain a turbo volvo? cause i really want one. and yes im glad i was bitten by the turbo bug. lol thanks

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh btw ampangbear....the car im lookin to buy is exactly like urs but in sedan form with a spoiler. same wheels and colors i think it looks sweet.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
I think you may have pushed it a bit hard.

Did the previous owner a revving type? Meaning did he use the Turbo function or is the Turbo used like once in a blue-moon only?

The check engine light may have been caused by some vacuum lines coming off (need to either tighten this, or change it to silicone ones, for good!). But you should really check it out, OK?

The funky smell is normally the smell of the 'burning' tyres, when you kick the Turbo in. Hehe. Careful now, you can burn the front tyres too fast this way.

So what did the owner say when you returned the 854T5 with the CheckEngine light on?

P/S:

How's the song again?
"Dum, Dum, Dum... Another one bites the dust!"

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
uhh did i really push it too hard?? like 3rd gear wasnt really comin in at all had to park it and then reshift into park or somethin. yeah umm bout the engine service check light. im not really sure but he said somethin bout his son always driving it in sport mode...hes in his late 20s now im guessing. but i didnt drive it too hard i don think. yeah i wasnt so sure so i just shut off the car and the engine service check light turned off. i was actually scared to drive the car actually cause i have never driven a turbo before. didnt really push to hard on the gas.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
about the engine check light...was that because of someone using the turbo a lil too much? or was this just maintainence work taht needed to be fixed beacuse the car does have 141K on it and so im not really sure waht happened.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Hey, don't worry too much. The check engine light could be lighted due to a few reasons.

One of them is the vacuum hoses. Why don't you check the vacuum hoses first and see if any of them fell off. There's a post here about vacuum hoses, if you need to know exactly where they were. Tech gave quite a good indication on it.

Don't worry.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
When you have it check out and find out all it needs and talk to the guy again make sure you don't try to drop the price to much or he will tell you to get lost.
If someone looks at it good enough they will come up with about what he wants for the car to get the repairs done.

The check engine light could be many simple things.
Also was the trans arrow flashing at all?

Also if you really wanted to you could pull the codes from the car and post them and we could help give you an idea of possible things.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok ill have it checked out and stuff yeah hes just tryin to get rid of this car for about 2600 i got him down to that. idk where the tran light was goin off at and iw as scared that i like busted the tran because it got stuck lol . by codes do u mean like the vin number or what? thanks guys

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
also how much do u think insurance is on a the car 94 turbo for a 17 year old? expensive or not really because the car is only worth about 3K. have u guys had ne major problems with ur turbo cars? is maintainence rates higher on a turbo than a non turbo?

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(Crunk84Volvo @ Jun 14 2005, 02:46 AM)ok ill have it checked out and stuff yeah hes just tryin to get rid of this car for about 2600 i got him down to that. idk where the tran light was goin off at and iw as scared that i like busted the tran because it got stuck lol . by codes do u mean like the vin number or what? thanks guys
[snapback]9580[/snapback]​

By codes, he meant the OBDI or OBDII Codes. What system do you use? What year is it?

Ask the dealer or anyone with the OBDII Reader machine to plug into the console under the coin holder just above the gear stick. Or if they used the OBDI system, and you could download the codes yourself. http://www.troublecodes.net/Volvo/

But i remembered you said yours is a 1994 model, right?

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah actually i settled on not purchasing the car because it had been in an accident and the insurance on the car for me would be kinda high because of the turbo so i think ill have to wait for nother year or so. bt thanks for ur help guys ur comments, advices and opinions have been greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Sure thing, crunk!

Hope the turbo stint didn't scare you or something.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts