Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone (and TECH),

Did anyone else's XC90 need a period of time for "adjustments" to be made on their vehicle within the first 12 months upon delivery? I am starting to lose a bit of confidence in my vehicle that is 6 months old and has less than 5k miles on it. I have had the following issues so far:

1st issue a month after delivery: Cam Position Sensor - faulty component = replaced by dealer/part spec order 7 day wait

2 months later: SRS Airbag Sensor - faulty component = replaced by dealer/part spec order 7 day wait

4 months later: Alignment at 4k miles - pulled to the right and BOTH rear wheel bearings - faulty = replaced by dealer/part spec order 7 day wait. (are the bearings defective? or is the grease used in the factory poor?)

I can see the alignment might have been needed if the spouse hit something to knock the alignment out of consistency, but she is a very gentle driver and its not likely..... has anyone heard about the XC90 losing its alignment settings easily?

So far no issues with the electronics, that is with regard to inside the car not engine related.

After reading many postings in this forum about the transmission mated to the T6 engine, I asked the Volvo service manager about the TCM software upgrades that are necessary for the transmission. The dealer attempted to load the latest version of software they had but indicated that the upgrade did not take, assuming that the latest version of software was more recent than what they had or the trans was the latest production.

Because I live overseas currently the Volvo dealer here in Poland does not recognize the VCNA/NHTSA safety recall campaigns currently I have found regarding the seat belts and the speed sensors that can relay the improper speed data to the ECM(?) make the DSTC and ABS brakes malfunction. How serious is this recall?

Does anyone have any other advice about what I should get replaced or inspected soon before it or the vehicle fails?

Thanks ahead of time for anyone's input.

Cheers - well sort of.....

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The XC90 is pretty new all together and will still have a few bugs that need top be worked out.Since it is a new model they always go through problems fr the first couple of years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tech,

Thanks for your reply.... Do you have any other insight as to why the bearing failed on this car? The electrical components such as my SRS sensor and Cam Pos sensor I can understand but the wheel bearings??? Are the bearings manufactured in the third world (I think I know the answer to that question) or was the wrong type of grease used in assembly? Could there be something in the rear suspension setup that could cause the bearings to fail? I have not towed or carried any heavy loads with this vehicle.

How about the recall on the speed sensors..... is that something mandatory that everyone in the States is doing regardless if they have a fault with those sensors or not?

Thanks.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The bearings are pretty much just a fluke in my opinion.I have seen many new parts bad from the box.

I have been out of the dealer for a few months I don't have that much info at all about the speed sensor recall.To tell you the truth this is the first I have heard of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tech - FYI

Here are two blurbs on the recall I found on the Speed Sensors. One is from www.volvotechinfo.com and the other is from www.mycarstats.com

Recall Campaign 127A: Front wheel speed sensors, replace

Model Start Year End Year
XC90 2004 2004

Under certain circumstances, the wheel speed sensors may send faulty signals to several control units. When this occurs, the functionality of several components, including brakes, engine, transmission and torque distribution may be affected. The corrective action will be to replace the front wheel speed sensors with sensors of a modified design.

NHTSA Recall Campaign Number: 03V434000

Component: WHEELS

Details: ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, DUE TO THE USE OF FAULTY FRONT WHEEL SPEED SENSORS, A DISTURBANCE OF THE SIGNAL CAN OCCUR.

Consequence: UNTIL THE SYSTEM CAN DETECT THE DISTURBANCE AS A FAULTY SIGNAL AND THE FAULT-CODES ARE SET IN THE BRAKE CONTROL MODULE, A NUMBER OF NODES INCLUDING BRAKE, ENGINE, TRANSMISSION, AND TORQUE DISTRIBUTION CONTROL UNITS READ THE FAULTY SIGNAL AS IF IT WERE CORRECT. THIS MAY RESULT IN FUNCTION DISTURBANCES.

Corrective Action: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FRONT WHEEL SENSORS. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON DECEMBER 8, 2003. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT VOLVO CARS AT 1-800-458-1552.

Units Potentially Affected: 2586

Recall Initiated By: MFR
Date added to NHTSA datbase: 11/05/2003
Internal use: 11/5/2003

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Thanks for the Info!!!! Im going to keep a copy of it.Thanks again!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts