Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently the a/c compressor clutch released even though the cabin temperature of my S80 was higher than the temperature set point. I sent my car for service at a Volvo dealer and the technician attribute this problem to a faulty a/c compressor. However the problem would go away when I restart my car. Is this due to a faulty compressor clutch or is it due to the compressor. Changing would cost USD1100.

I was also told that the emission service indicator will light up if the ABS modulator is faulty. I experienced intermittent indication to service my emission system. The modulator cost another USD1200.

Kindly advise.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
In the U.S. market I have never seen the emmissions light on from the ABS module.

The compressor could be the problem.You will need to make sure the cooling fan is working properly.What are the A/C pressures?Other things like that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your prompt response.

I was told by the Volvo dealer technician that the signals from a failing ABS module could trigger the emission system service indicator. I share your thoughts that it would be odd for this to happen. Since this fault indication is on and off by itself, I thought it would have been due to some wiring or sensor problem.
As for the air condition, the condenser fan was replaced last year and it was running when the compressor clutch disengaged. I do not have pressure readings but it return to normal working condition when I restart the car. That let me to believe that I have sufficient refrigerant in the system. I suspect that this could be triggered by a faulty high pressure sensor, shorting or switch in the air condition system since that could be another reason to disengage the clutch other than cabin temperature. I don't think the solenoid on the clutch is faulty since it could engage and disengage under normal working condition.

I will probably seek second opinion when I send my car for its next service. Meanwhile I hope the problem blows away. These are some of the irritants of owning a S80. It is a great car when it works.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I agree!!

It could also be software related.

Have you had anything replaced lately?

Or have you had another software upgrade done lately?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tech,

Good question. I had my throttle module replaced twice over the last 8 months. The second replacement was due to poor replacement part quality - uneven manifold seat. The dealer claimed that they had to load the software into the throttle module. I am not sure whether that is an updated version. Since then I get on/off service emission system indication.

I will check with the dealer.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Concerning ABS and Emission.
There is a connection between a faulty ABS control unit and Emission alarm. Code 510F indicates a wrong speed masurement and will end up in ABS ->( STC ->) Emission alarm. This is commnon. It is described in VADIS.
P-O

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
QUOTE(LEONG @ Aug 5 2005, 10:19 AM) I suspect that this could be triggered by a faulty high pressure sensor, shorting or switch in the air condition system since that could be another reason to disengage the clutch other than cabin temperature. I don't think the solenoid on the clutch is faulty since it could engage and disengage under normal working condition.

I will probably seek second opinion when I send my car for its next service. Meanwhile I hope the problem blows away. These are some of the irritants of owning a S80. It is a great car when it works.
[snapback]12839[/snapback]​

I agree it is probably the HI Press cutout [with auto reset hence it OK next time], and this will happen [to protect the compressor] if condensing temp too high of course so make sure the car cooling is OK as same rad fan operate

A car fridgie can quickly test the 2 pressures in AC for you - before you start sacking the control/safety side [which is far less likely to be the problem]

Also tropics puts huge load on AC because it has to work twice as hard to remove "latent heat" from 95% humidity as well as "sensible heat" from high temps, so it will be operating very close to design limits anyway - could simply be comp cycling on air off sensor on evap coil [even though cabin still above setpoint]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts