Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughters 1992 960 wagon died on her way to church this morning. Upon inspection I determined that the timing belt broke.

Does this engine B6304F have an interference head? If there is any risk that the engine was damaged, I will most likely part it out.

If it is simply a matter of relacing the belt, I am sure she can get a few more miles out of "Blue Betsy"

180,000 miles.... was running great!

thanks!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Unfortunately it is an interference engine.
You may need to pull the head and check for damage first. Tech, should be able to be more specific on your situation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh my, I guess I will have some wrench work ahead of me. Any tips or estimates on difficulty of 1) pulling head, 2) having head reworked as long as it is off and 3) installing the Timing belt?

Anyone know what I can expect in cost?

Thanks

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Look at atleast a couple of thousand just incase the head is to damaged to fix.
It is pretty easy to do the job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Tech! I was waiting for you to comment. The bad news is I suspect major damage. I figured that i would try to just realign everything and put in a new belt before I tore into the motor.

When I went to spin the crank, it was WAY loose. I could turn it by hand. At that point I gave up.

Now I am trying to convince my wife that I should do a Ford 5.0 swap...

I have seen a few kits out there. Do you have any comments on this?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
That would be AWESOME.I haven't seen one in a 960 yet but would love to see it.

If you pull the head I will bet that almost every intake valve is snapped off.

My dream is to get a 960 and then put the S80 twin turbo setup on it but with bigger turbo's and then tune it.

But let me know what you decide to do.

If you do the 5.0 swap take TONS of pics.

If you need any advise on the 5.0 as well let me know.

P.S. sorry it took me so long my computer took a dump and I had to fix it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Funny you made note of a 5.0 in a 960. I day I took my 97 in for a look over and state inspection after purchasing it in Feb one of the techs made a note of saying that car needs a V8 while looking at the engine bay.

I guess Paul Newman and David Letterman did the right thing when they dropped in Blown 302's in their cars.
If your interested here is an article on the transplant.

http://www.swedespeed.com/news/publish/Fea...article_33.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts