Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1995 volvo 850 turbo that has been sitting for a while. It looks to be very well taken care of, and I jump started it before I bought it and it started just fine, and everything seemed to work. When I got home I jumped it again to drive it into the garage and it started them died again so I went to jump it again and it sparked really bad when I placed the cables on the negative, then it just started to smoke on the battery, so I took off the cables and pushed it into the garage. I bought a new battery figuring I had ruined the other one and now the engine turns over but will not start. I hear the fuel pump come on so I know we have fuel, so I was assuming there is a fuse somewhere that I blew that allows spark to go into the engine. However, I also noticed that when I turn the ignition key forward none of the engine diagnostics come on like they did when I first started it like the check engine light and all other indicators, not my radio or my a/c fan motor. So I am wondering if the car went into some kind of limp mode from the sparking and is there some kind of inline fuse I need to change. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You should have a relay box under the hood that has a system fuse that is like 60 amps you need to make sure you didn't burn it.
It is not in the fuse panel at the bottom of the weindsheild.It is by the strut tower somewhere.

It is hard to see if it blew.You might have to remove the little plastic cover and test with a testlight.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
If you are testing the Big fuses you will have to remove the clear plastic cover to test it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tech, thanks fo rthe help so far. I am by by no means knowlagable about electronics, but this is what I found. Part number 3515632, it looks to be a large relay that you were talking about. I get power from the big connector going into the relay, but I do not have power on the other side, which I would assume would be going out, that side is what looks like a 6 pronged connector with no power to it when I touch the tester to it. I also tested and have no spark to the distributor. Let me know if you think this is the problem. Thanks, so much

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Im not sure if the relay is the problem.
Were all the system Fuses good?
Did you locate the 60 AMP one I was talking about?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ May 17 2005, 10:01 AM)Im not sure if the relay is the problem.
Were all the system Fuses good?
Did you locate the 60 AMP one I was talking about?
[snapback]8040[/snapback]​

I guess I could not find the 60 amp fuse, is it located in some sort of fuse box, or out in the open and how big should it be. Thanks

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You should have 2 fuse/relay boxes under the hood it will be in the one closest to the front of the car.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
If anyone could come out with a photo of the relay, i guess it would help a great deal.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It is not a relay he should be looking for.
It is a big fuse with a clear top.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ May 17 2005, 07:49 PM)It is not a relay he should be looking for.
It is a big fuse with a clear top.
[snapback]8080[/snapback]​

It has a clear top? Ok now I am stumped, I found what I thought were big fuses, but none have a clear top. is this fuse in a box, or out in the open. Thanks

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Do you have a digital camera?
It should have something in there that looks kind of like the picture I put in this post.

Attachments

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Thank you that will help a little more.

Sorry so much confusion!!!!!

I just don't have access to the Volvo books anymore so I am trying to do from memory.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok, i hope this attachment works, This is the only fuse panel I can locate, but all I have is a chiltons manuel and it does not tell me what those big fuses control, plus there are some big fuses under the dash, but I could not find any 30-amp like you were talking about. Hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tech, I also noticed on another forum that someone had the same problem where the lights would not come on in the dash either and they had to replace an ignition module, it was a bosch part, like $30.00, do you know where this part is so I can check it also, Thanks

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
That is the main fuse box.I was hoping you have another one in the engine compartment.Some cars had them and some don't.
Im not sure about the ignition switch but you can look at it.
Remove the 2 black covers around the steering column.There it 2 t-25 screws and 2 t-15 screws and the covers will come off.Then look on hte back side of the lock cylinder and you should find the plug.
Most of the if the switch goes bad it will run but the lights on the dash will stay on when the car is running.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tech, I ran codes and in a-1 socket I got 2-2-3, tps signal too low, a2, 1-1-1 A3 1-4-2 and 4-2-1, then the only other code I got was in b2 1-2-2. Does any of this give you any ideas. Thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts