Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hve a '94 940 (bought it used a month ago, 96k miles.) While driving today, the red SRS light came on and stayed on for a good minute or two. Then it went off and immediately the check engine light came on. Looking at the owner's manual, it appears that the SRS is the air bag? Why would the SRS light come on, turn off and the check engine light come on?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

-thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
Usually they are only service reminder lights. You can reset them on your dash with a ball pen. On the dash there is a small rubber plug around the bottom of the speedometer. Take this plug out, push the pen in and this resets the service switch. Thats it. Put the plug in and you are good to go. Unless of course there is a problem with the air bag or the engine needs a complete service check. Normal maintainence like oil, plugs etc. remove the need for this expensive check. If it ain't broke don't fix it. More of a nuisance light than anything else. Hope this helps

Corny

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The check engine light and the SRS light are not reminder lights.That usually means there is a problem.The only other thing I could think of would be the electrical part of the ignition switch is bad.Try wiggling the key while the car is running and see if the lights come back on if they do the electrical part of the switch is bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - I did the key wiggle with the engine on and the check engine light went off and hasn't come back on since. Is this a serious issue that requires immediate attention or should I not worry about it? Money is tight so I'd like to hold off on it if possible...

-thanks

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You should be able to hold off for a little while.All you will have to do is wiggle the key for now to get things working.Some times when it is bad you will loose the radio till you wiggle the key.The electrical part of the switch is bad.I don't think it is all that expensive to buy and replace.It is not really that hard to replace.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts