Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fuel gauge is not reading correctly if at all. The low fuel light works though.
Is there a sendning unit I have to replace? Is this inside the tank? Thanks

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Yes there is a sending unit in the tank that usually goes bad.But you might have to buy the entire fuel pump assy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
interesting prob my f/guage seems slow.i dont like to run empty, bad for any sysem,drags all the tank muck up.wondered any body know if my 740 gl 1986 as a low ful light.not in h/book.will read all answers with interest dan

·
Registered
43 Posts
the fuel guages on the 88 on volvo 740s are renowned for being dodgy. I put up with it for a long time just putting in £10 worth and watching the trip mileometer ('m in the UK). I suspect it's down to the three pins on the back of the fuel guage not making proper contact with the small plug that contacts with it off the printed circuit at the back of the clocks. Haynes manual does give a way of checking the guage by disconnecting near the pump sensor and putting resistors of a certain value in circuit with it to test the guage. I replaced the guage, it read for a while then packed up. i gave it up as a bad job, left it meaning to deal with it again, then bought an 850. Try tightening up those pins and let me know how you get on. - Roy

·
Registered
43 Posts
meant to say also that the 88 740 i had didn't have a low fuel light and it isn't mentioned in the owner manual. - Roy

·
Registered
63 Posts
ta roy.small diference in some year model.i will have to try and give a tune up.runs perfect but seems thirsty.what a motor i just got 86 740 but only 148000 on clock.its like new..off an old guy full sevice record.so i do like this model.carb type.dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts