Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this 240 for about 9 months ...been sorting out the little things. The engine has excessive (to my preference) lifter noise. Is that a trait of the B230F. The transmission whines somewhat when I ease off the throttle and let the car coast in gear (5 speed). Not as pronounced since I changed Trans and Rear fluids. I've driven Hondas and Toyotas since '69, (all 5 speeds), and can't remember any of them being this loud. Actually I had a 66 122S way back when, and I don't recall noise being much of an issue, (I was a lot younger then). ...Just don't want to worry about overhauling something that may be completely normal.

Any Thoughts?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Icebrick
I presume this is an older model? Lifters et noisy after time and need to be reset(new shims) Not overly expensive around $75. to $100.
As for the transmission noise it most likely is the pilot bearing. When they seize up they really get growly. If you let it go it eventually could destroy the transmission. The bearing is very cheap Around $8. to $10 but the transmission must be pulled out to do this. Around 3 hours. Find a reliable garage of choice( doesn't have to be a volvo shop) this should quieten the trans. right up. Not an uncommon problem nor a difficult one just labor intensive to get to the bearing. You wont be sorry in doing this. Usually when doing this, you would be smart to change the release bearing at the same time. About $40 The actual bearing changes take about 10 min. the rest is just dropping and reinstalling the trans. You would be wise to pick up the parts yourself and take them to your garage. Saves money this way. Most autoparts dealers can have them to same day. Remember to tell them it is for your 230F 240 model and year.
Good luck

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 91, about 120K miles. I had planned on replacing the release bearing ( it squeals occasionally) so the pilot bearing makes sense at the same time. Then again, with 120K it may make sense to replace the clutch disc while the transmission is out. Is there an inspection plate to check out the disc ahead of time?

IceBrick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts