Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
heres the deal , i have a 1990 760 turbo wagon with a b230f motor and a jetronic system . when the car runs it runs great, but no matter what speed you are driving it will cut off and not come back on until the car was stopped put in park and restarted in the park posistion, now it starts sometimes but mainly not. can anyone help, ive checked all the fuses, all ok, when key is in the on posistion there is no power at the coil?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
There is 2 things to check.1 check the engine speed sensor it is located on the back of the engine where the engine and trans meet.There is a sensor that mounts at the top of the trans.If the outside sheilding is cracked or missing at all replace the sensor.Also check the power stage mounted on the inside of the left side front fender in the engine compartment.It is a sensor mounted on an aluminum plate.
They will both cause the complaint you have.If the speed sensor is good when the car stalls you can try tapping on the power stage and see if it starts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had identical problem as you experiencing.
My 88 760 GLE would stall any time (There was no constant time frame) It could happen when I stopped in front of the traffic light waiting; Or it happened even when I was driving high speed, restarting was no problem but only troublesome.
My problem solved when I went to the junk yard & found a replacement Ignition Control unit $10 & changed it.(New one cost $80)
That unit located under the air filter holder, you'll remove the air filter box completely and it will expose the Ignition Control unit mounted on the left front wheel cover by 2 screws, with a set of wire pluged into it.

I would say there is 99.5% possibly will solve your ploblem.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.