Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife bought a 1990 Volvo GL Wagon without consulting me...okay.

She LOVES the car, and it seems to run and handle well, so I can't really complain, until recently.

On a vacation to New Mexico, we apparently got a load of bad gas. The car ran well untill we were 20 miles inside the Texas border, and then just quit...sputtered and died within a 2 mile stretch...middle of nowhere, 105 degree heat, took 4 hours for a AAA tow truck to get to us. Drained the gas, dumped in multiple bottles of water absorber, changed the fuel filter, back on the road...for about 2 hours. Did it again...started to miss, got worse, died. More water absorber, changed the fuel filter again, back on the road...finally got home.

Since getting back, this has happened 3 times. Changed the fuel filter each time, along with copious water absorber (Heet). Will drive fine into work (approx. 58 miles) in the morning when it's cool. Never makes it home during the heat of the day. I've changed the fuel filter now 8 times, bought and used probably 5 gallons of the freakin' water absorber, and it STILL dies. I'm starting to suspect that I'm not just getting tank after tank of contaminated premium gas, that there is something else wrong.

As I understand it, there are 2 fuel pumps on this model, one in the tank and one under the driver's side of the car next to the fuel filter. Could one or both of the pumps be the problem?

I disconnected the fuel line where it enters the fuel pump under the car, and turned the car on, expecting the tank pump to pump the gas out of the tank...not a drip.

I'm frustrated beyond words. I'm ready to sell...no...give the car away, I'm so frustrated.

Has anyone seen an issue similar to this? What are the potential solutions? HELP!!!

AAAAUUUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!! Freakin' Swedish engineering!

Gary

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I would suspect either the fuel pump relay or the pumps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I hadn't thought of the relay. I replace it this weekend and see if it works. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
295 Posts
QUOTE(gmoody @ Aug 8 2005, 04:49 PM)My wife bought a 1990 Volvo GL Wagon without consulting me...

I'm frustrated beyond words. I'm ready to sell...no...give the car away, I'm so frustrated....

Gary

You might want to sell...no...just give me the car

Such words aren't taken lightly on a 'Volvo Forum'

When would be a good time for me to pick it up?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'll take it!!!!!!
This sounds like a small problem so dont give up on this car.......it is a great year/model, very reliable.
I had a very similar problem with my mom's old 240gl...
After replacing the fuel filters and pump relay, it still stalled after it got hot.
Turns out it was an electrical problem....something about the spark plug wires.
With a little maintenance and luck you should have a great car there....dont give up!

·
Registered
295 Posts
QUOTE(skullskates760GLE @ Aug 9 2005, 12:37 PM)I'll take it!!!!!!
[snapback]13198[/snapback]​
HEY! I called 'DIBS' First!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is the same problem experienced by Stroller and I on identical 1990 Volvo 760 Turbo wagons. He replaced the Fuel Pump Relay in late April and has had no stalling since then. I replaced the relay two days ago and it solved my problem--so far.

In the 760s, the relay box is on the right side of the console, under the panel beneath the glove box. On the 740s, it may be in the same place, or ould be in the center of the console, under the radio (fuses in the rear, relays in front) or could be under the hood in front of the driver. If it's not on the right side of the console, it likely will be located adjacent to the main fuse panel.

This is a relatively simple, inexpensive fix. I would try this first.

Regards,
Jim O'Connell

·
Registered
295 Posts
QUOTE(Tech @ Aug 8 2005, 07:31 PM)I would suspect either the fuel pump relay or the pumps.
Tech pointed in that direction on the 8th

1 - 10 of 10 Posts