Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 86 760 gas turbo just started smoking. the car runs super, engine tight and fast, but she smokes like a chimney. especially when idling. someone said it might be the pvc box. Question: where is it located, what does it look like and is it very difficult to replace?

any help would be most appreciated

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Sounds like you may have either a bad turbo or a bad head gasket.When the turbo goes bad it starts smoking.Also ckeck your oil and make sure it doesn't look like choclate milk.If it does the headgasket is bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine is solid. oil looks great, it still runs super, very fast although the turbo sounds like a singer sewing maching it still works. it just smokes up a storm especially at idle. it doesnt smoke until the the car has warmed up abit.

QUOTE(Tech @ Dec 23 2004, 06:23 PM)Sounds like you may have either a bad turbo or a bad head gasket.When the turbo goes bad it starts smoking.Also ckeck your oil and make sure it doesn't look like choclate milk.If it does the headgasket is bad.
[snapback]1851[/snapback]​

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE(Tech @ Dec 25 2004, 09:36 PM)Most likely a bad turbo.Could also be bad valve seals.
[snapback]1878[/snapback]​

I have the same problem with my 86 760 Turbo. I believe it is self-induced on my part due to neglect. I was given the car and never did an oil change in two years. When I finally did (recently) this problem started. It is noticable when sitting in traffic and smoke billows out the tailpipe but not all the time. With over 300k I'm guessing it's a number of possibilities.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This sounds like a bad Turbo..I had the same problem.
When I opened up the turbo (removed all the hoses etc) there was oil inside that had travelled down into the exhaust...the oil combined with the heat of the exhaust is what causes the smoke.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought my turbo quite cheap on fleabay because she had exactly these symptoms.

I however knew it wasn't turbo because she had had a new Volvo original equipment turbo fitted by a volvo dealer (=megabucks) about 3,000 miles ago.

I thought it wasn't valve seals because there was no big puff on startup, nor head gasket because there was no water use nor emulsified oil.

I got a bloke to clean out the entire oil breather system, flush engine with flushing oil and refill with right oil.

Problem gone. Now doing about 1,000 to 1,500 mpp which I am told is normal.

All I need to do now is the leather, the shocks (including nivos), the resonance at 3,100 rpm in top (AW22 box) and the kickdown. Oh, and the diff grumbles slightly too. Already done sundry small paint and dent probs. Fleabay seller said she was "in excellent condition" apart from the fuming. A bit vexed with him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts