Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the answer to this. I have an 850 with rotational tyres (no it's not spelt wrong, I'm British!
), ie. there's an arrow on the side of the tyre which shows which way it has to rotate. I damaged one the other day and need to replace it. Question is, do I have to replace it with another rotational tyre or can i just buy a normal tyre to go on the car. Thanks - Roy

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Roy,

The BEST to do is to get the SAME BRAND of the SAME MODEL of the SAME MAKE. And if its the front tyres, then replace both front tyres. If its the rear tyres, then replace both the rear tyres. And if the other are non-directional tyres (i.e. rotational ones), then fit the same.

Or if you are tight with $$$, use the spare tyre for this, as a temporary measure.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Reason is that in the long-run, it would help you tremendously if you forget the history of the tyres. And as such, if the fronts wear out, you can safely change both. The same for the rear.

Tyres are very important for safety and it is imperative that you pay close attention to the tyres. Spend a little for a peace of mind. You won't regret it. Unfortuntely, the thing with tyres is that you would only realise its significance when something goes wrong. By then....

Be safe, man.

·
Registered
224 Posts
now there was me assuming all modern tyres would be rotational

What make is it Roy? surly a call to your local Kwik Fit will answer the question!
As far as i am aware the only legal requirements here in the uk is the old one about mixing radial and cross ply on the same axel. That said from bitter experiance avoid the cheaper makes, they tend to be fine at first but go off big time relativly quickly.

To go with whats already been said if your spare is new just buy a match for that and keep the better of the front as a spare.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
If worse comes to worse and you buy one that is not a match make sure it is on the back.
It may cause pulling problems if you put it on the front.

I would not reccomend it but I have seen it done before.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Hope you're clear, Roy...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, now sorted. went to a local respected tyre dealer and got him to change the spare round on the hub so I could replace the damaged tyre with the same make. Then bought from him a good non directional tyre for the spare so I can replace any tyre on the car that may get a puncture in the future. Seems, as has been stated, here in the uk, the only no no is cross plys and radials on the same axle. So the non directional tyre is ok to use on any axle. thanks all for the contributions. - Roy

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Good to know it's OK.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts